Simple Bookmark

Sometimes simple is best. I have had many bookmarks in my life. They have fallen out, or made the books appear bulky. Now I have a BOOKMARK always at my fingertips. I use a large paperclip. I put the short side on the page that I was on last. Easy, quick, and THRIFTY!

By Christine from Sterling, Virginia

As a former librarian who needed to provide inexpensive bookmarks to many children, I have a few ideas.

Cut off the front picture of old greeting cards. Cut them into bookmark width strips. These are very colorful. It doesn't matter if there are words on the front. Not enough of the letters will show to spell a message.

Cut construction paper or any attractive heavy weight paper into strips. Use a small stamp to stamp a design at the top of each bookmark.

There are more complicated bookmarks to make, but we let the children make those as library projects. The above bookmarks can be made quickly and in quantity, particularly if you happen to have a paper cutter.

I used to use a paperclip too but I didn't like the fact that they left indentations on all the pages.

Now I have started cutting both corners off of envelopes I get in the mail and then use the triangle on the corner of the page I am on.

I agree, a paper clip works really well; but when I'm reading a paperback I always use a rubber band. Just stretch the rubber band over the left or right part of the book on whatever page you're on. I hope you understand what I mean. It doesn't mark the pages and you don't have to worry about the bookmark or paper clip falling out. I've been doing this for about 20 years. Try it!

:-) Margaret from Denton, Texas