Tips for Cleaning Floors

When I wash my floors, I fill a bucket with clean water for rinsing my microfiber mop. In a spray bottle, I add a cleaning mixture. I spray the floor and damp mop. Depending on how dirty the floor is, I sometimes wait before I mop to allow the cleaner to soak a bit. I rinse the mop in the bucket of clean water.

When the rinse water gets dirty, empty and refill. This way you are always starting out with a rinsed clean mop. I always allow my floors air dry. You can use any type of mop and cleaning mixture. This is the mixture that I use.

Floor All Purpose Cleaner: Do not use on wood or laminated flooring. Great for tile and no-wax floors.

In a one gallon jug add in this order and mix gently. If you add the cleaners first, before the water, it will be very sudsy.

• 3 quarts water
  • 1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp. ammonia
  • 1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp. bleach-free liquid laundry detergent

This can be used as a floor cleaner or as an all-purpose cleaner. I always have a few spray bottles around the house.

The worst treatment for a floor is to "swab it", meaning using too much water or cleaner that lays on the flooring.

For Laminate Floors: Use one cup of white vinegar to 2 gallons of warm water or recommended cleaner from manufacturer.

For Wood Floors: Use a diluted solution of Murphy's Oil cleaner or any other wood floor cleaner.

Source: Method of wash is from a floor installer, recipe is from "Consumers Report" magazine.

By Mkymlp from NE PA