Centerpieces for a Post-Prom Party

I'm making centerpieces for my son's post prom party. I want to use the theme "It's not the destination, it's the journey" and use maps. I can't figure out how to incorporate the map:) Not a lot of money has come in at all, but I can't wait on the money. Must get started on a shoestring budget. Thank you.

By Becky from Dallas

Hey Becky, I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but please read the response I wrote to "Sheila" titled "High School Graduation Party Ideas". Her original post was on 3/24/11 so you should be able to find it by going to the home page on this site and clicking on to the "View all posts from today" link and then search the title by date.

"Sheila" did not ask the exact same question as you did, but maybe you could get a few ideas from my response to her: My suggestions were based on a "travel" theme party - using maps - for her own teen aged child. Good Luck!

Not sure what kind of maps you have or if they can be altered but you may be able to use them as place mats or to set the center pieces on. maybe use on the wall as a backdrop to pictures past to present something like you were/started here with little league/peewee football pic move on through the years until you get to You Are Here with a star (like at the mall) then the map can go on to show how far you can travel in your future. May it be all bright and stars. Just an idea hope it helps.

You could use them for center pieces like cover some chinese takeout boxes and add some fortune cookies, you could even stuff your own fortunes in them. Then you could add some plane/train tickets to stuff between the cookies with some keys, leis, shells etc. to scatter around the outside of the boxes. You could add some signs to the walls such as "beach this way", a sign post showing several different destinations; things like that. Old suitcases added for props for food would also add to the theme. Good luck.

How about hanging some maps, like old road maps or world maps on the wall? Have tacks handy in bowls or baskets and a little slips of paper. People could write their "destination" on the slip of paper and put it on the wall. I suppose doing this necessitates that you don't mind that the maps get little holes in them. You could probably pick up maps for free at a tourist information place or the chamber of commerce. Could you create a cake in the shape of the U.S. and draw roads and rivers on it. Good luck. It sounds like a fun idea.

Holidays and Parties Parties School PromMarch 28, 2011
Cat Scratching Sisal Post
Repairing a Sisal Wrapped Cat Scratching Post
Silk Wedding Flowers
Silk Flower Wedding Centerpieces
Summer Themed Flower Centerpiece
Summer Themed Centerpieces