Homemade Yogurt and Lactose Intolerance

Does anyone know if homemade yogurt affects people who are lactose intolerant? I have intestinal problems, and have heard (and read) how homemade yogurt helps with that. But I'm also lactose intolerant, and am wondering if all that milk will cause further problems. Or does the body handle the lactose in yogurt differently?

By galinminnesota from Mankato, MN

I am lactose intolerant as well, but am able to eat yogurt, cottage cheese, ice cream, and chocolate. It's just something in milk that upsets my system completely. I've heard, and now believe, that yogurt will help adjust your system, but you may never be able to drink milk or eat ice cream in great quantities.

I'm lactose interolerant as well and have always been able to handle yogurt (but not ice cream, milk, or cheeses with high milk content). My Aunt is so sensitive she can't even eat the smallest amounts of cheese or baked good containing butter. It must depend a lot on the person. Oddly ever since I was pregnant with my first baby, I've been able to handle warm milk (not cold milk) and am less sensitive to cheeses. Of course I use this to rationlize a latte addiction. It's one of the only ways I can handle dairy without becoming ill.

I'm lactose intolerant but yogurt doesn't affect it because the the the lactose is broken down by the active yogurt cultures.

"Some studies have shown that the active live bacterial cultures (also known as probiotics) found in yogurt help lactose digestion."--http://www.healthcastle.com/herb_lact.shtml

Yogurt helps heal the gut lining in two ways: beneficial healthy bacteria and the texture of yogurt. If you have a sensitivity to dairy, it is best to avoid it completely- most especially if you are looking to heal from the allergy. Avoid it at least 3 months if you are doing a stomach lining healing.

Allergy/intolerance are usually caused by a damaged intestinal lining, so any exposure the the thing it is telling you to stop eating is a must. Research what some good brood-spectrum "pro-biotics" are. Watch out, though. There are some really awful ones that are practically useless and whose bacteria are derived from animal, not human cultures, or that is not refrigerated or heated up while processing- rendering it not "live" anymore.

For a yogurt alternative, try making a non-dairy pudding (look it up online but it is something like heating a non-dairy milk up with sweetener, adding vanilla and egg on low/med til thickened), then add your pro-biotic blend in- about a 1/2 to 1 tsp full per cooled pudding cup. Mix in and let this set in the fridge can increase it's healthy bacteria count even more and be so much more beneficial than any regular store bought yogurt anyway.

If you need a brand name to look for a probiotic, I know that Klaire Labs has a few great ones. I think you can get this on Amazon, but make sure it is always kept refrigerated and shipped cooled. As far as the other reason yogurt is healing, the texture itself makes it easy to digest. In fact, anything slimy is easy for the stomach lining to absorb (avocado, jello/gelatin, etc)

Avoiding Lactose, Milk with Stop Sign on Bottle
Avoiding Lactose In Your Diet
Health & Beauty AdviceAugust 31, 2009
Mug of slighty lumpy Greek yogurt.
Greek Yogurt Recipes
Bowl of plain  yogurt.
Low Fat Yogurt Recipes
Homemade yogurt in jars.
Using an EasiYo Yogurt Maker
Making Yogurt Without Milk
Making Yogurt Without Milk
🎄
🍂