Storing Batteries in the Refrigerator

Many years ago we were storing batteries in the refrigerator. Does anyone know if refrigerating batteries really extends the life of a battery?

Koka from USA

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Hi, Koka, they say with the batteries the way they were made about 20 years ago that they lasted longer stored in the refrigerator; but the new ones are much better now, so you don't have to refrigerate them any more.

I called one of the battery companies and asked how long their battery # printed on the battery, would last. I was told 7 to 10 years.

It's not necessary to store batteries in the 'fridge.

I always wondered about the Dollar Store batteries, since there is no date on the packages! If in doubt, call the manufacturer.

June 3, 2011 Flag

Just yesterday as I was going to the nearest office to get some soda, I notice they had batteries in the refrigerator. I ask, "Why are there batteries in the refrigerator?"

They told me that batteries at the right temperature will last longer by a whole month because the alkaline acids found in the batteries are cooled down by more charges. Make sure you keep them in small Ziploc bags.

Source: Co-Workers at the Contemporary Art Museum of Houston

By ERM747 from Houston, TX

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Consumer AdviceNovember 14, 2005
Getting More Life from Batteries
Getting More Life from Batteries
Saving Money on a Refrigerator, A new side by side refrigerator and freezer in stainless steel.
Saving Money on a Refrigerator
Recycling Car Batteries, old battery
Recycling Car Batteries
View of the water line.
Flushing a Refrigerator Water Line
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 9:28:52 PM on 10.0.0.57 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.