Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Is Ortho-Klor Insecticide Safe Around Children?

I have black widows in the play area in my yard. Someone from this site suggested Klor by Ortho. Is it safe around children and does it really work? Can I get it from Lowe's or Home Depot?

By Karen from VA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Lilac [18]09/03/2010

Black widows are not safe around children either and I would call an exterminator as soon as possible like now! Where there is one there are more and you need to have this done right. A bite can kill a child.

By LARRY FLUITT09/02/2010

Ortho -Klor active is Chlorpyrifos (Dursban), which has been off the U.S. market for many years now. That product was also more of a soil treatment, not what you would use for black widows that live off the ground in webbing, any general insecticide will kill a black widow, none of the common ones you will get won't totally keep them away, but as you do remove the ones you see, they will become more rare to come across in 23rd year doing pest control.