Hot Water Weed Treatment

One can just pour hot water on plants to get rid of weeds. But, I wish people would really look at all the plants growing in their yards and ask why.

Plants like dandelions have deep tap roots. They break up the soil and bring minerals up to the top soil. Why not just mow them down after they've bloomed. They are pretty. Plants tell you a lot about the condition of your land.

We've been taught to prefer manicured, scrubbed yards. There are no fruit trees anymore which could have something to do with the bee problem. No berry bushes, and a few set apart plants. Why not go crazy and go for lush? Weeds would get crowded out.

You are CORRECT. I turned half of my "city lot" into strawberry patch/flower bed/raised gardens/ grapes & kiwis on fence/ etc. Get flack for not mowing my front lawn but there is NO front lawn. Point - NO weed whacking, and I cut mow time in half! Only mow what you need for a "yard" & a mulching mower will eliminate fertilizer on your "lawn".

"Plants R People 2"

People mistakenly think that pouring substances like hot water or vinegar on weeds is a safe and easy way to get rid of this. This is false. Anything that you pour on top of a plant (except for herbicides such as roundup) kills only the top growth and the weed will come back. You might as well cut the top off with a scissors or shears which I have frequently done. Large doses of boiling water or vinegar (which is acetic acid) will damage the soil and kill earthworms and other beneficial soil organisms.