Save on Contractors During Hard Economic Times

In the past year I have needed to remodel two homes and in the process of working on one now. Normally, I try to do as much of the work as I am able, as I cannot normally afford hired help. Because of the recent economy and the need for work by contractors and handy men/women, I have found I can have many of the tasks done at affordable prices.

I make a list of what projects needs to be done and decide what I would be willing to pay for the task at hand, as compared to doing it myself.

I do not like to negotiate so I call the contractors and tell them, "please do not be offended, I don't normally hire work out, but here is my list and what I am willing to pay." I don't care to negotiate as I find it uncomfortable. I explain the situation as how I usually do these things myself, but know people are trying to keep their crews working and if he/she is willing to work with me, he is hired. I have yet to be turned down.

The labor cost I am saving has been on the average of 50 percent, sometimes much more, and the contractors have been very grateful to have the work. Its a win - win for both of us.

By Tracey V. from Santa Rosa Beach, FL

What an outstanding idea! do you determine a fair price for having the projects done? Do you call around to other companies?

Home and Garden Home Improvement RemodelingSeptember 10, 2009
Finding an Honest Mechanic, Mechanic Holding up Car Part in Front of Car
Finding an Honest Mechanic
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
A couple working on their household budget.
Reducing Your Household Budget
A mom shopping at the grocery store.
Making Ends Meet