RemodelingHome Improvement

Save on Contractors During Hard Economic Times

In the past year I have needed to remodel two homes and in the process of working on one now. Normally, I try to do as much of the work as I am able, as I cannot normally afford hired help. Because of the recent economy and the need for work by contractors and handy men/women, I have found I can have many of the tasks done at affordable prices.

I make a list of what projects needs to be done and decide what I would be willing to pay for the task at hand, as compared to doing it myself.

I do not like to negotiate so I call the contractors and tell them, "please do not be offended, I don't normally hire work out, but here is my list and what I am willing to pay." I don't care to negotiate as I find it uncomfortable. I explain the situation as how I usually do these things myself, but know people are trying to keep their crews working and if he/she is willing to work with me, he is hired. I have yet to be turned down.

The labor cost I am saving has been on the average of 50 percent, sometimes much more, and the contractors have been very grateful to have the work. Its a win - win for both of us.

By Tracey V. from Santa Rosa Beach, FL

What an outstanding idea! But....how do you determine a fair price for having the projects done? Do you call around to other companies?