Riding Mower Won't Run With the Choke Off

I have an MTD riding mower, 18hp twin power. I have a carburetor issue, if I choke the carb and cover the little hole with my finger, the engine starts right up. If I remove my finger, it will die. I run the rider with choke pulled out fully. I am unable to utilize the throttle control or it will die. If I push in the choke just a little it will die, does anyone have an answer to my dilemma?

By Dano77 from Buckner, MO

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

April 27, 2011 Flag

My MTD 15.5HP riding mower won't run unless the choke is pulled out. What could be the problem and how to fix it?

By Ron from Nashville, TN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ron, I think your carburetor is dirty. Remove and clean it well. Billy Griffiths from South Africa. gbilly@ananzi.co.za

August 19, 2010 Flag

I have Troy Built riding mower, it's fairly new. Lately, it only runs when the choke is open. When I close the choke it dies. Any advice please?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 25, 2010 Flag

I have a 16hp Sears riding mower. I got the engine to work fine, but it only runs with the choke on, once the choke is off the engine dies.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Riding Mower
Repairing a MTD Riding Mower
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersAugust 19, 2010
removing riding mower wheel
Removing a Wheel from a Riding Mower
Riding Lawn Mower
Repairing a Troy-Bilt Riding Lawn Mower
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
Craftsman Riding Mower
Craftsman Riding Mower Won't Start
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 7:26:21 AM on 10.0.0.96 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.