Fabric Softeners

I need to know about substitutes for fabric softener. I've heard that vinegar may be used, but what about ammonia? I also need information on the amounts.

Thank you!

you use about 1/4 cup per washload. if you have really hard water you might use 1/2 cup.

if i was going to use anything else it would probably be baking soda. about 1/4 cup per load.

i know ammonia helps to cut grease in the wash but i've never heard of it as a softener.

the more soap and residue you can get out of the clothes the softer they'll be.

buy 1 large carton fabric softener-1pastic container sprayer. fill sprayer with about 1/4 of softener plus the rest water. shake well. when drying load place a thin rag i n dryer spray rag with about 8-10 times the softener mixture & START DRYER. The clothes come out soft. This concotion lasts until the fabric softener is gone.

One way to save with fabric softeners is using the softener sheets. One sheet can be used up to four times. When you have used it once, snip off a corner. second time, snip a second corner. Once all four corners are snipped, it's time to get rid of it. I buy generic, that helps too. I only have one or two loads of laundry a week, because I live alone. This tip would help a lot if you do lots of laundry.

Ammonia is rather dangerous. Even though it's a common houselhold item. Or used to be. I would avoid it if possible. I never keep it in my house any more.

Can't really attest to any of these but here goes ...

If you've run out of liquid fabric softener, what can

you use instead to get you through the rest of the

wash day? Here's a quick alternative: Go to your bathroom and get your hair conditioner

(creme rinse) and add 2 capfuls of it to the rinse

cycle. This will do the trick until you can get to

the store for a new supply of softener.

Homemade Fabric Softener Recipe

1 cup glycerin

1 gallon water

essential oil for fragrance, optional

Laundry Softener

Recipe #1

2 Cups White Vinegar

2 Cups Baking Soda

4 Cups Water

Combine slowly and carefully over sink. The baking soda and vinegar will fizz.

Pour into plastic bottle, cover, and shake.

*Hint - Reuse your "Downy" bottle.

Use 1/4 cup in the final rinse or in a "Downy Ball".

Recipe #2

2-3 Cups Water

1 Cup Liquid Fabric Softener

Large Sponge

Combine water and liquid softener. Cut sponge in 1/2 and keep in liquid. When drying clothes, remove sponge, squeeze out excess liquid and place in dryer with clothes. When dry, just place sponge back in liquid to be used for next load.

Homemade fabric softener

You can also use these products alone to soften:

Plain White Vinegar - Add 1/2 cup to final rinse.

Baking Soda - Add 1/4 cup to final rinse.

Regular Fabric Softener - Dilute and use normally.

Hair Conditioner or Cream Rinse - Pour 1 tablespoon into damp washcloth and toss in with clothes.

Also some here:

Ammonia is toxic! And if you have bleach in the water (or in most common detergents...) watch out! Better to go with vinegar and/or baking soda. But it will not help with the static electricity...I am still trying to find that help, with out the toxins!

Generic Fabric Softener Bottles
Homemade Fabric Softener Recipes
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply Recipes Laundry RecipesAugust 10, 2006
Stack of Fabric Remnants
Crafts Using Fabric Remnants
Homemade Cuticle Softeners
Homemade Cuticle Softeners
Eco-Friendly Fabric Softener
Eco-Friendly Alternatives To Fabric Softeners
Vinegar being poured into fabric softener compartment on a top load washer
Using Vinegar as a Fabric Softener