Identifying Small Brown Bugs in Kitchen

Does anyone know what these are? They are little brown bugs that look kind of like beetles. They have wings and I think they come in through the back door. They tend to stay in the kitchen and have never been spotted upstairs.

By Megan from OH

Probably either cigarette beetles or drugstore beetles coming from pantry food; crackers, biscuit mix, even dry dog food. Usually something that is old and been around awhile.

Pantry bugs. I had a horrible infestation years ago in our apartment. You'll need to throw out all flour and pasta items you may have in there. Once your pantry is empty, you can spray insecticide (roach spray will do) to kill them. Scrub the pantry thoroughly with soap and water. It's a good idea to store your pasta items and flour in plastic containers to prevent them to from getting into your food again.

I think this what we call stink bugs. I am infested with them this past summer and this winter . If you squash them, they stink real bad. I don't know how to get rid of them. Help from anyone.

l tried Cedarcide on some ants last summer and was happy to get rid of that problem. It was really annoying the way they crawled onto the windowsill and onto my computer. I just sprayed the windowsill and window and they stopped coming and some died as I sprayed them.

It's supposed to be good for all insects. Haven't had a chance to use it on any other bugs. It is completely non-toxic to people. I ordered it over the internet because I heard an ad on the radio. It's good for use on everything except plants.

One day I decided to cook some chicken noodle soup because it was cold outside. As I was adding the seasoning I saw that there were a lot of reddish brown bugs with hard shells in the pot. After realizing that it was dead bugs I decided to open the top of the seasoning and saw a hand full of bugs.

They're also on the counter and in the cabinets. They are only in the kitchen. Can someone tell me where they come from or why they are taking over my kitchen?

By J. B. J.

When my mother had this it occured on a regular basis. We didn't know where they where coming from until one day I opened a cabinet that had a lot of extra dry beans in bags that my mother had been given. And found the source. The heat of the refrigerator I'm sure helped the insects flourish and the bugs I guess came out after the critters turned into bugs (From caterpillars). We cleaned out the cabinet and no more bugs.

I didn't realize my mother hadn't put these bags of beans in the freezer for a few days. Doing so will kill any eggs that may be in the beans (Sorry to tell you but there usually are bug eggs in most foods (Especially grains) so freezing them for about 3 days kills them. Also helps to them put them into some heavy duty zip lock bags or jars so no bugs manage to get into the beans or what have you.

So somewhere in your home there is a cabinet or container that has these little guys hatching and coming out. You just have to search your entire kitchen and even if you find it keep searching as the little bugs can reinfect beans. Once they turn to the bugs they can easily chew out of the plastic bag the beans where in.