Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Any Good Decorating Ideas For Metal Fold Up Chairs?

I need some ideas for decorating 200 fold up chairs. I need the suggestions by October 15 2011.

De'Shawn

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Rachel's Mom [162]01/19/2011

For my sister-in-law's outdoor wedding, she had purchased rectangular plastic tablecloths from the dollar store and ask me if there was a way we could use them. I decided to cut the tablecloths in half, lengthwise, and wrap one of the pieces around the top of the chair. I tied the ends in a bow in back of the chair, and then we used mounds of multi-colored curling ribbon that had been curled to tuck in the back. We let some of it drape down the back too. Of course, you could tuck some silk or real flowers in the back or something else of your choice. We had many compliments on how pretty the chairs looked. Just buy one or two tablecloths and experiment with it. You may be surprised at what you come up with. Good luck!

By theflowerlady01/09/2011

As a professional bridal consultant of 10 years specializing in silk wedding flowers, event design & wedding planning, and faux floral decor, I love helping brides create amazing designs for less.

Folding chairs can be tricky, and we are vague about a few of your wedding details, such as your event colors, theme, and the color of the chairs. I assume that since you want the ideas by the middle of October you are having a fall or winter event. Plus, I am assuming that you are using 100 for the ceremony and 100 for reception seating.

Here are a couple of my suggestions:
1.) Try to incorporate the chair color into your wedding color palette. It will look as though you chose those chairs on purpose.
2.) Decorate the ceremony chairs by placing colored bows or pomanders (little round bouquets) on the ends of the aisle to dress up the aisle.
3.) For reception chairs, add a wide band, 3-5 inches, to make sashes. Bows could be added to the head table. (see inexpensive materials list below)
4.) If they are metal chairs you could attach a variety of items with magnets. Tulle, colored paper shapes, etc.

Inexpensive materials:
**Raffia - this is a very inexpensive material that has a natural look and color of straw. It can be made into sashes and bows, while adding a fall, rustic feel.

**Tulle - this material is great because it is very inexpensive, comes in a ton of colors, and widths. You could use wider bulk tulle to make a full cover. Just make sure to bunch or layer the material so the color comes through.

**Ribbon - ribbon is a great way to add color. Pick a bulk ribbon that's really wide. You can make sashes, bows, or wraps. If the chair has a flat top and a spindled back, you could tie thinner ribbon in your wedding colors along the top in little knots and let them hang down. This is a very cool look. (email me for a picture)

**Pearl Strands - these garlands are fun, elegant and relatively inexpensive. They come in a bunch of colors and swagged along the top of the chair will give any chair a pop.

I could go on and on. If you want more help just leave me a message. I am glad to help. Congratulations on your upcoming event.

By Cate01/07/2011

I like the pillowcase idea, I'd also go for tulle (net) bows in any appropriate colour.

By Elaine [129]01/07/2011

Are they all alike? Do you sew? I would make a trial pattern and then buy some cheap fabric at Walmart, they have some at mine they sell for $1.50 a yard and sew your own.

By linda lush [67]01/06/2011

By the date I assume this is for something related to a wedding or Halloween. Depending on how dressy this needs to be, buy the 13 gallon size garbage bags- the kind without the drawstrings. I believe they will fit over the back of a folding chair. If not you may need to look for a larger size.

First though take the bag and smooth it out flat, if for a wedding could, with a marker, write BRIDE on half and GROOM on other half if being used for the wedding ceremony, and set up the chairs on the proper side. If for reception can put the first names on different bags, put last name on some, or put (Jane and John Doe 10-25-11) for example. If for Halloween, using colored markers draw Halloween pictures, etc.

By bkvander [2]01/06/2011

Pillow cases (in colors) are pretty.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Any good decorating ideas for metal fold up chairs?

We're having a wedding reception at a church and plan to use their tables and chairs; however, the chairs are brown fold-up metal chairs (yuck!). We're not too much on the chair rental thing; does anyone know of any inexpensive and creative decorating ideas for these type of chairs? Thanks!

C, Richmond, VA

RE: Any good decorating ideas for metal fold up chairs?

Hi- Last year I got married on the beach and the beach house where we had the reception had ugly! chairs. We wanted the room to look perfect so we went to the fabric store and bought cheap fabric. We chose white which was easy and cheap to find. We then cut them to make little slipcovers. They kind of looked like pillow cases because there was a little pocket on the top (to cover the back of the chair) and the rest of it kind of just hung over. It was super easy to sew. Just sewed on the sides and on the top.

Then we bought some cheap ribbon at the dollar store to tie around the backs and made bows. We also found these cute wedding ring favors from the dollar store and tied it to the bow. Flowers would be nice too. I hope that that makes sense! If that sounds at all appealing I could send you some pics. I believe that I have some good one. It really brightened up the room and you can do it any color that you like. (03/07/2005)

By mekatsu

How about using contact paper? (03/08/2005)

By kimmcg

How many chairs? This could get quite expensive if there are a lot of chairs? Let me say this...I have been to many, many, wedding receptions at my church fellowship hall (including my daughter's by the way) and never noticed the fold up chairs as being such...after all that is what they are. In fact, I think one might bring more attention to the fact that they are fold up chairs by trying to "mask" them. I really don't think anyone at this event will think about this but you. Save your money. (03/09/2005)

By Janean

What if you got a long strip of fabric and tie a bow on the back of the chairs or you could also get fabric and just put on the aisle chairs and put a bouquet of flowers on the aisle chairs, but other than that I wouldn't worry about it your guests are there to see you not the ugly metal chair good luck in you life long journey of marriage (03/25/2005)

By sassykass

To decorate folding chairs. I use 13 gallon garbage bags. White ones. I use tulle on the roll to tie bows around the back of the chairs. You can add flowers to the bows.You can also use black bags for a black tie affair. I havent tried this but you can use the very large lawn and leaf bags to cover the entire chair and then tie the bows. (03/26/2005)

By Gwen J.

Using the slipcover with white fabric idea- you can also just cut the fabric to size and staple the sides- then turn inside out. No one will ever know the difference. I saw this on a celebrity style decorating show. (07/07/2005)

By malinbo

What if you used pillow cases that matched the color scheme of the event. Slide the open end down over the back of the chairs and fold up the bottom twice. Then secure the fold with stick pins and decorate with a bow or just leave as is. (07/30/2005)

By Lisa H.

The lady helping me with the reception hall told me she thought that was the biggest waste of money. She said for the few short seconds that people enter the hall, they may notice the chairs are covered. But after that, when people fill up the chairs, when you look across the room, you don't even see the chairs! You just see people sitting. (04/05/2006)

By Carole

Dollar store tablecloths (if size permits cut in half) draped over each chair and secured with a ribbon tied around where the back and seat meet. (05/12/2006)

By myomybutterfly

A friend and I have done over 100 weddings in all kinds of places for girls in the community and we had to do 100 chairs cheap. We usually had to furnish stuff. We made all the wedding stuff and gave it to them for a wedding present. The chairs real old and awful looking but we got 72 inch cheap net, and covered the backs with a 1/2 yard piece; tying it bow style in the back. It only cost us 1,00 to do 6 chairs, we mixed her colors red, black we bought 20.00 worth and done 100 chair backs with net left over for decorating somethings and the birdseed bags. It's the cheapest way to go with a little style to it. We got a lot of feedback about it because she had to have the guests carry along there chairs downstairs to the reception. Thanks for letting me add my 2 cents worth, and I have lots of ideas if you want to contact me. Rossington_R. (03/01/2008)

By Rossington_R.

I'm having a weeding in August, and we gonna have 180 guests-renting the chair covers. It's really expensive. Get the cheap tulle like here is the pic That's what I am doing. You need 3 yards of tulle. If you need more info. Let me know. (05/14/2008)

You could spray paint the chairs to match your color scheme. Then go to Family Dollar or Dollar General or Wal Mart and pick up some inexpensive sheers curtains (one curtain should do at least 2 chairs) in colors to go with your color scheme too. You can also pick up some pretty silk flowers or leaves or some other decoration and tie them like in the photo below that someone sent. (07/21/2009)

By Cricketnc