Making Applesauce in Freezer Bags

By Peggy Nolan 3 2

I want to make applesauce to freeze in freezer bags. Can anyone tell me how to do it? Thank you

Peggy from Canastota, NY

Showing: Answers Sort

By PENNY K 14 564 Flag

I made fresh frozen applesauce years ago and it was SOOOO good. I peeled and cored my apples, cut into chunks, about

4 at a time, threw into blender with a bit of sugar; I don't think I used vit c though I may have sprinked a tiny pinch to keep it from changing color. Blended it into applesauce put in plastic containers and froze immediately. Added cinnamon when I thawed and served if I wanted it then. For bags, I would put in small bowl, fold over the zip edge, use a canning funnel-plastic only, not metal- and pour to top of bag, remove from bowl, and zip, trying to squeeze out any excess air.

Those hand operated suction tools now in stores have bags which come with them, and extras available, fairly cheaply at say Walmarts. Those gizmos really work. You would have to be careful to keep the one corner where the suction hole is, clear to not suck applesauce into bag.

Lay on flat area of freezer to freeze, and if you did small batches at a time, you could carefully extract when frozen, to put in another plastic ziplock, if you didn't want to buy too many of the special vacuum bags.

Frozen applesauce, not cooked tastes like a fresh apple.

Delicious.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By PENNY K 14 564 Flag

I made fresh frozen applesauce years ago and it was SO good. I peeled and cored my apples, cut into chunks, about 4 at a time, threw into blender with a bit of sugar; I don't think I used vit c though I may have sprinked a tiny pinch to keep it from changing color. Blended it into applesauce put in plastic containers and froze immediately. Added cinnamon when I thawed and served if I wanted it then. For bags, I would put in small bowl, fold over the zip edge, use a canning funnel-plastic only, not metal- and pour to top of bag, remove from bowl, and zip, trying to squeeze out any excess air.

Those hand operated suction tools now in stores have bags which come with them, and extras available, fairly cheaply at say Walmarts. Those gizmos really work. You would have to be careful to keep the one corner where the suction hole is clear to not suck applesauce into bag.

Delicious.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I use a pressure cooker to make mine, we like it lumpy not like the baby food stuff you get at the store, I fill the cooker and bring it up to pressure for 2 min and then cool the cooker under water and put the sauce into 1 qt. bags, usually around 2 very full cups, this lets the bag flatten out to about 1 inch and makes for easy storage in the freezer.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Linda Watters 6 46 Flag

sorry part of my recipe for applesauce came out funky. I will try again:

Applesauce

6 to 8 cups peeled and quartered apples

1 cup water

1/2 cup of sugar (adjust sugar to the kind of apples)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon butter

1/2 tsp teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon lemon juice

Place peeled and cored apples in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil with all the above ingredients, cover and turn down heat to allow applesauce to simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes.

Remove from heat, uncover and allow applesauce to thicken.

Freeze in Ziploc pint bags when cool.

Delicious!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Heather 8 Flag

I always use my crock pot to make applesauce & I don't see why you couldn't freeze it. I probably use a whole 5lb bag of apples. Peeled, cored & cubed. Throw them in the crock pot with maybe 3/4 cup of water & cinnamon & sugar to taste. Really, you can cook it on high or low & just check it ever so often until you get the consistency you like. The applesauce does turn a bit brown, but it tastes great & makes your house smell wonderful!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Thank you, All of your applesauce making sounds wonderful, does anyone have a favorite kind of apple to use for applesauce? Peggy

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Food and Recipes Freezing Fruit and BerriesOctober 30, 2008
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Applesauce with Pork Roast
Recipes Using Applesauce
Applesauce
Applesauce Bar Recipes
Canning Applesauce
Canning Applesauce
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 8:30:31 AM on 10.0.0.168 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings