AdviceDogs

Dog Won't Eat Normally

My chihuahua recently stopped eating and I'm not sure if its because of my female dogs outside. He usually ate twice a day, but now refuses to eat unless I mix chicken and/or rice with his dry food.

He chases the female dogs around all day outside and now refuses to do otherwise. He has lost a lot of weight and I don't know if its a phase or if I should take some action? Please help.

By tina1441 from Laredo, TX

Has he been neutered? Male dogs will concentrate on female dogs and forget all else if they have not been neutered.

Do you feed dry dog food? Some brands are very bland and now he knows that chicken & rice taste better! You might try switching his dog food to one more tasty. There are sauces on the market now to add taste to dry dog food.

If he has not been neutered, please do so. It helps him to live longer, reduces chances of testicular cancer, helps to control the puppy population and calms him down considerably. Do it.

Sounds like you have a female in heat, and that your boy isn't neutered.

Males have three things on their minds; food, sleeping, and girls. Unless the girl is in heat, then only one thing exists: the girl.

I know of many males who have lost interest in everything, lost weight, everything you describe, when a local female comes into heat.

If you don't plan to use him for breeding, please get him neutered. It will cut his chances of prostate, penile, and testicular cancers WAY down, and also avoid "accidental" puppies.

Good luck!

Have him neutered if he isn't already and if he is neutered, get him to a vet to rule out any medical reason for loss of appetite.