Bake Meatballs Instead of Frying

I love meatballs, but when a recipe calls for browning them on the stove, I have my own trick which is much less messy and I don't have to stand there turning the little buggers. I put all of the meatballs in a 13 X 9 pan for a large batch and bake them at 350 degrees F until brown. You can line the pan with foil for easy cleanup and no splatters on the stove! You can also cook entire batches this way, by cooking meatballs all the way through for about 30 minutes, cool and freeze in ziploc bags for use in all kinds of recipes! Spaghetti and meatballs, meatball sandwiches, Swedish meatballs, crumbled in chili, etc.

By Carol from Landisville, PA

To save even more time, you can pat out the mixture on a piece of wax paper on the counter into a rectangle and run thru w/ a pizza cutter. A quick roll into balls (or even leave them square, they'll kind of shrink into balls), and you've got equal sized pieces.

When I make Sweet and Sour Meatballs, I put them in a microwave dish,nuke for 10 min, use turkey baster to take out any fat. If need be, I will do this twice before making sauce and baking in oven. I do like your idea of making them like you do and freezing for later. Good tip.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsFebruary 21, 2008
frying pan birdbath
Making a Birdbath from a Frying Pan
Meatballs cooking in sauce.
Using Frozen Meatballs
A pile of frozen meatballs.
Freezing Meatballs
Large Turkey in Deep Fryer
Deep Frying a Turkey