Introducing a Puppy to the Resident Cat

How do you think a four year old cat would behave if I introduced a Bichon Frise puppy into her home?

By Glenis from Leicestershire

It might take some time but they will get along. You might want to try having the puppy on a leash for at least the first time so they can sniff each other. If the puppy wants to chase the cats, definitely deter it in some way. Don't give up and give one of them away (I get so frustrated when I hear of things like that). It just takes some patience and boundaries. :)

Suggestion: Take an animal crate, good-sized, and put the puppy in it. Let them get acquainted. Then put the cat in the crate and the puppy outside. Switch them back and forth every couple of hours. Use this method as long as it takes for them to at least make a truce. Then let them mix under your supervision and see how it works out. Over the years, They may be friends or just ignore each other. I've introduced many animals this way and it always seems to work. Good luck! --shoe

You have to keep them seperated( it could take 2 weeks). Keep a door between them where they can smell each other, but no contact. At first they might be afraid of each other, but they will get used to eachother, and be curious enough to meet.

In all my experience (several family pets and fosters) the best thing to do it just let them meet right off the bat. It may take a few weeks of suffering through hissing/growling/barking, but eventually they'll get used to each other. I've never had animals get aggressive with each other physically. All huff and puff. I introduce my cat to our new puppy (lab/husky) and at first she hissed and spat at him but would gradually venture closer and sniff him out. Now they are best friends.

A cat and a puppy.
Introducing a New Puppy to a Cat
Pets AdviceFebruary 21, 2011
Older cat playing with a kitten.
Introducing a New Kitten to Your Resident Cat
Rescued Dog
Introducing a Rescued Dog to Resident Pets
Two cats being introduced to one another.
Tips for Introducing Cats
Dog with Cat
Introducing a Dog to Resident Cats
🎉
🎄