Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Fabric

Permanent marker is called "permanent" for a reason. It's very difficult to remove. While difficult to remove, there are some things you can try. This is a guide about removing permanent ink from fabric.

I got a marker stain on my Coach bag and I didn't know how to get out. I looked up tips and "none" were working so I came with a great idea to add it all together. I got a rag and put soap, hydrogen peroxide, and sunscreen on it, mixed it together and what do you know the stain came out in 4 or 5 minutes.

I wrote in sharpie a my fabric phone case and can't get it off

What can I use to get black marker out of denim fabric?

By Angie from Lumberton, NC

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

I have used Murphy's Oil Soap to get dry erase marker out of different clothing with some success.

Best Answer

Try hairspray.

the sad fact is that if the permanent marker has been in for some time it is most certainly there! and I mean to stay. I have tried using rubbing alcohol as well with minimal results, I have even tried acetone which is a much purer form of alcohol and the results was just blurring the edges.

Sorry for your luck you will just have to live with it or throw it away.

That is my two cents worth on this situation.

How do I get silver permanent marker off my red backpack? My little sister wrote her name all over it and I need to get this off ASAP!

By JoeyM.

Best Answer

I have had good luck using straight isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. You may have to do it more than once to get all the black off and there is also a chance that it will take up the dye of the backpack, so test a section first.

Good luck!

how to do i get sharpie off the nike sign on a bookbag!?

will it work if its wet?

Some one drew on my school bag with permanent marker. So how do I get permanent marker off of my back-pack?

Usually, Permanent means permanent. Can you draw or paint or sew on a patch over it?

I have had good luck using isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol to remove black sharpie from a fabric backpack. It will take some work and it may remove dye from the background too. Try using a cotton ball or q-tip to a small part to see how it reacts.

Good luck!

that idea worked really well thankyou for your help

When I was in like third grade I decided to write my school's name in Sharpie on my little backpack. I'm now a sophomore and I have tried and tried, but can't get it out of the backpack. Please help!

Take a cotton ball or a cotton swap (q-tips), wet them down a little with nail polish remover, or rubbing alcohol, then wipe away the text

how about jansport backpack?

October 20, 2015 Flag

Someone messed with my counted cross stitch that I have been working on since May with a green Sharpie pen! I need someway to get it out.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 9, 2012 Flag

My daughter used the Sharpie pens on her backpack a while ago; how do you get the ink out?

By JSB

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I used hand sanitizer on the marker stains. Pour the sanitizer on the stain and blot until all is removed. This worked for me. Hope this helps.

My friends wrote something bad on my gray backpack and I was wondering what to take it off with ASAP because it's bad for people to see

January 3, 2011 Flag

I have a black backpack with silver Sharpie permanent marker on it. I need the writing off of it before tomorrow. Any suggestions? I can't go buy a new backpack or anything at the store. I'm on a budget. Any ideas?

By kitties120896

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you have a black permanent marker can't you go over the silver with that. I don't know of any way that you can get the actual silver writing off, other than covering it with black marker.

I have had good success getting black Sharpie off of a backpack with Rubbing Alcohol. I'm not sure how different the silver is from the black, but it would be a good place to start. Worst case, it might just lighten it.

Good Luck, let us know how it turned out.

November 18, 2014 Flag

So my orange highlighter was left opened inside my backpack and has stained it inside and out. My backpack is blue on the outside and I don't want to ruin the outside trying something that won't work. Help!

By Esmeralda B

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 13, 2014 Flag

I got a new blue and white backpack for school this year. I let a friend borrow a highlighter. When they were finished with it, they put it in the front pocket of my new backpack. The next morning I noticed the highlighter bled through. :( I've tried washing it in the washer as my mom suggested but it just made it worse. Please help me!

By Kamryn O. from Longview, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 7, 2012 Flag

How can I get marker stain out of my favorite sweater? My son got a hold of the markers. Please help.

By Ingrid

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There are some good links on this page to removing inks from clothing. If those don't help you, try here:

http://laundry.  l/a/stainsaz.htm

The page opens to stains A-C, you'll have to click a few to get to the ink page.

December 28, 2011 Flag

How do you get permanent black marks out of a tan all weather coat?

By Becky B.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Supersaturate it with hair spray. Then wash as normal. It may take two or three washings, but for certain the ink will come out.

Karyn

October 26, 2011 Flag

My 2 year old found a blue Sharpie and before I could get it out of his fat little hand he had drawn several streaks across my tan upholstered love seat. I used rubbing alcohol on it, but the streaks still show. Help! :)

By Rene from western MA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here are some links I have found on my favorite site. I hope this helps!

http://www.ehow  ff-anything.html

Give the little guy a hug!

Blessings, Robyn

April 13, 2006 Flag

While using a Sharpie permanent marker, I got some on my sweater which is 65% polyester and 35% cotton. Any ideas on how to remove this stain?

Thanks,
garnetgirl9 from Stoughton, WI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

alcohol..and not the type you drink lol....lay on top of a towel you no longer want, like if it's on a arm seperate the fabric so it's only the layer with the spot (understand?) and pour alcohol over it letting it go through into the towel.

Try spraying the ink spot with hair spray then rinse with cool water.

Use hairspray and Alcohol

April 7, 2013 Flag

Is it possible to get black marker out of a pure white hand-made nightgown? I finally found that perfect nightgown, it is pure white, hand-made, and it was a big splurge for myself, but I may have ruined it. I got black marker spots on it, and I was looking for tips, any advice, can it be saved, all answers will be muchly appreciated.

By Amber M

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 22, 2012 Flag

My three year old daughter got ahold of a blue marker and drew all over her self and on my couch cushion. The cushion is a tanish color. What can I use to get it out?

By Amanda D

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning FabricOctober 21, 2011
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a CD or DVD
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from a Computer Screen
Permanent Marker
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Leather
Permanent Ink
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Metal
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 29, 2017 at 6:53:40 PM on 10.0.0.56 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.