Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Fabric

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.

Permanent marker is called "permanent" for a reason. It's very difficult to remove. While difficult to remove, there are some things you can try. This is a guide about removing permanent ink from fabric.

Solutions: Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Fabric

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Removing Marker from Fabric Coach Purse

I got a marker stain on my Coach bag and I didn't know how to get out. I looked up tips and "none" were working so I came with a great idea to add it all together. I got a rag and put soap, hydrogen peroxide, and sunscreen on it, mixed it together and what do you know the stain came out in 4 or 5 minutes.

By

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Fabric.

Question: Removing Permanent Marker from Tablecloth

My granddaughter wrote her name on a flag and the marker went through onto the tablecloth. How can I remove it?

By Mary

Question: Removing Permanent Marker off Clothing

My jacket has been drawn on with permanent marker. The stain has been there for almost two months. Is there any way to remove the marks now?

By John

Question: Removing Permanent Marker from Backpack

How do I get silver permanent marker off my red backpack? My little sister wrote her name all over it and I need to get this off ASAP!

By JoeyM.

Most Recent Answer

12/18/2013

I have had good luck using straight isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol. You may have to do it more than once to get all the black off and there is also a chance that it will take up the dye of the backpack, so test a section first.

Good luck!

Question: Removing Permanent Ink Stain on Cotton Top

I have a Sharpie ink stain on my newish, pricey, top. It's a 100% cotton filigree top. I tried nail polish remover, alcohol, and Zout. Only some of it came off and it is still very obvious. I would appreciate your help.

By C.J.L.

Question: Removing Black Marker from Nightgown

Is it possible to get black marker out of a pure white hand-made nightgown? I finally found that perfect nightgown, it is pure white, hand-made, and it was a big splurge for myself, but I may have ruined it. I got black marker spots on it, and I was looking for tips, any advice, can it be saved, all answers will be muchly appreciated.

By Amber M

Question: Permanent Marker on Couch Pillow

My three year old daughter got ahold of a blue marker and drew all over her self and on my couch cushion. The cushion is a tanish color. What can I use to get it out?

By Amanda D

Question: Removing a Marker Stain on a Sweater

Marker stains on sweater.How can I get marker stain out of my favorite sweater? My son got a hold of the markers. Please help.

By Ingrid

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]03/08/2012

There are some good links on this page to removing inks from clothing. If those don't help you, try here:

http://laundry.about.com/od/stainremoval/a/stainsaz.htm

The page opens to stains A-C, you'll have to click a few to get to the ink page.

Question: Removing Sharpie from a Backpack

My daughter used the Sharpie pens on her backpack a while ago; how do you get the ink out?

By JSB

Most Recent Answer

By Janette [83]01/16/2012

I used hand sanitizer on the marker stains. Pour the sanitizer on the stain and blot until all is removed. This worked for me. Hope this helps.

Question: Removing Permanent Ink from Coat

How do you get permanent black marks out of a tan all weather coat?

By Becky B.

Most Recent Answer

By Karyn [29]01/08/2012

Supersaturate it with hair spray. Then wash as normal. It may take two or three washings, but for certain the ink will come out.

Karyn

Question: Removing Permanent Marker from Upholstery

My 2 year old found a blue Sharpie and before I could get it out of his fat little hand he had drawn several streaks across my tan upholstered love seat. I used rubbing alcohol on it, but the streaks still show. Help! :)

By Rene from western MA

Most Recent Answer

By Robyn [361]11/23/2011

Here are some links I have found on my favorite site. I hope this helps!
http://www.ehow.com/how_4699483_clean-sharpie-marker-off-anything.html

Give the little guy a hug!
Blessings, Robyn

Question: Removing Sharpie from Fabric

I have a black backpack with silver Sharpie permanent marker on it. I need the writing off of it before tomorrow. Any suggestions? I can't go buy a new backpack or anything at the store. I'm on a budget. Any ideas?

By kitties120896

Most Recent Answer

By Jess [111]01/06/2011

I have had good success getting black Sharpie off of a backpack with Rubbing Alcohol. I'm not sure how different the silver is from the black, but it would be a good place to start. Worst case, it might just lighten it.

Good Luck, let us know how it turned out.

Question: Removing Marker from Denim

What can I use to get black marker out of denim fabric?

By Angie from Lumberton, NC

Most Recent Answer

By Laura Brown [2]04/10/2010

Try hairspray.

Question: Permanent Marker on Sweater

While using a Sharpie permanent marker, I got some on my sweater which is 65% polyester and 35% cotton. Any ideas on how to remove this stain?

Thanks,
garnetgirl9 from Stoughton, WI

Most Recent Answer

By Poco (Guest Post)04/13/2006

Try spraying the ink spot with hair spray then rinse with cool water.