Dyeing Sheer Curtains a Different Color

How do you dye polyester sheer curtains?

P from Peoria, IL

Answers

I "dyed" a lace curtain with water based paint. I wanted a creamy/tan color to blend with my walls so I took a white lace curtain (don't know the fabric content - it was an old curtain) and dipped it in some watered down paint leftover from the walls. The I wrung it out (do not rinse) and hung to dry, smoothing carefully so there would be no wrinkles. This curtain was used on a cabinet door (behind glass) and has been there for several years. I do not plan on washing it. It looks antique and blends well (it's not as dark as the wall)

Answer

Can anyone tell me if you can dye sheer curtains another color? They are white and I would like to dye them a cream color.

Sandy

Dying Sheer Curtains a Different Color

Sandy,

It all depends on what kind of fabric the curtains are made out of. If they are more than 50% polyester than chances are they won't accept most dyes. Check out ritdye.com for a list of what kind of fabrics can and can't be dyed

.
-Kristine (11/02/2004)

By MrsKris007

Dying Sheer Curtains a Different Color

I would try a tea stain. Make a strong tea and put them in it. You may want to try just a small piece first, to get an idea how long it will take (usually doesn't take much, especially if you want it real subtle). I would suggest using a roaster or a large container that you can lay them out as much as possible, and stir them around to get an even color. (12/02/2004)

By Cherie

Dying Sheer Curtains a Different Color

I've already tried to dye sheets. They didn't take the Rit dye. I guess because of the polyester.
Jodie (11/19/2005)

By Jodie

Dying Sheer Curtains a Different Color

If you have sheer curtains and want them a bit darker but don't want to buy more, pick out coordinating material and sew the material onto the back of the curtain. Just measure the curtain to figure out how many yards you need (look for discount material, my local Wal-Mart has material for $1 a yard). Wash and iron material and fold under edges and sew. It's simple, easy, and cheap to fix up curtains and make them darker.

By Cali (01/05/2006)

By ThriftyFun

Dying Sheer Curtains a Different Color

Do a search for "dharma fabric dye", it is a great site for all kinds of dyes and info. They have an impressive catalog too. I have not ordered from them but my daughter-in-law has and loves the products. (03/14/2006)

By Vicka

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Red tieback curtains on a white background
Dyeing Curtains
Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Window TreatmentsMarch 3, 2009
Hanging Curtains With Pleat Hooks
Hanging Curtains
Measuring Windows for New Curtains, Gold colored curtains and white sheers hanging on a wondow.
Measuring Windows for New Curtains
Starching Curtains
Starching Curtains
Window Sheers
Removing Wrinkles from Sheers
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 23, 2016 at 8:57:20 PM on 10.0.0.54 in 367 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.