Cleaning Pontoon Boat Seats

I just bought a pontoon boat and it needs a bit of cleaning, but otherwise it is in great shape. It was docked under oak trees and the owner said that it was sap on the tops and edges of the seats from the trees. Does anyone have any ideas for cleaning the seats? I think they are just a vinyl seat material and the areas with the sap are white in color. Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch.

By Kathy L.

You might test cleaning an inconspicuous area with mineral spirits or mineral oil. Use a soft, terry towel, or wash cloth dampened with mineral spirits.

Tree sap can also be removed by using a water-soluble paint brush cleaner. A common household solution is bacon grease or lard. Just rub it on, and off comes the sap. To get tree sap off of your hands, simply rub mayonnaise on them and wash it off. To remove tree sap and other substances, you can use common solvents like lighter fluid, rubbing alcohol, WD-40 or even Skin-So-Soft bath oil.

The way to use those materials is to let them do their work of dissolving (in the case of alcohol) or softening (in the case of oils), enough to rub off the remaining sap. If you use the oil, wash the vinyl afterward.

Thanks Cajun for the suggestions! In fact, my husband mentioned about WD-40 right after I posted this question to the forum. He said it works wonders on lots of things. I will give some of the ideas a try and give my feedback on what worked the best.

Thanks again!

You may check an auto parts store in your area. When I worked in Pep Boys we had a cleaning solution for sale that was designed for cleaning sap and was recommended for vinyl roofs. Sorry I don't remember what it was called but I do remember a customer praising the heck out of it one day.

Now that I'm thinking about it the name may have been Tar and Sap Remover.

Try Goo Gone. Peanut butter takes gum out of hair, you could try that!

You'll be very surprised and pleased with Mr Clean magic Erasers!