Bath & BeautyCrafts

Homemade Products for People With Allergies

My son is allergic to the shampoos and underarm deodorants he has been using. Does anyone know of hypoallergenic shampoos and or deoderants? If you know a homemade formula for these items, I'd also be interested.

Cora from Arkansas

Try Shaklee Products you ll have to look up Co. Based in Calif very good prod no harsh chem and they have vitamins too

Due to allergies, I have to use Free and Clear shampoo which is free of dyes, fragrance, masking fragrance, protein, lanolin, parabens, and formaldehyde. I get it at the pharmacy at Walmart, Target, or Costco but you do not need a prescription for it. It is made by Pharmaceutical Speciaties, Inc., Rocherster, MN, www.psico.com, 1-800-325-8232. For bar soap, I use Vanicream Cleansing Bar.

I saw recipe for powdered deodorant recently with 2 parts baking soda and 1 part corn starch. Applied with a puff (that part sounds girly but no one would know but him). As for shampoo, baby shampoo is just about as pure (gentle) as you can get. Both would be frugal and neither could hurt for a try.

Anonymous

It's possible that your son has allergic reactions to one of the natural ingredients even of the shampoo and deodorant so it's possible he may also be allergic to an ingredient in a hypo-allergenic product. Maybe make a list of 'all' ingredients listed in common for the products in what he's using and have him 'patch tested' for both the chemical and natural ingredients that are in common before even trying to purchase different brands or make home made natural products.

There are a lot of people out there with all kinds of allergies even as simple as herbs.

I read a long time ago about using coconut oil as a deoderant. It has natural anti-fungal properties. I use it...mostly after I've worked out, so I know I've sweated out a lot of impurities. When I started using it, it took my body a couple of weeks to adjust. Also, rubbing hydrogen peroxide under the arm pits, letting it dry, then putting on the coconut oil. The underarm hair for men will become lighter, but it is a natural way. The coconut oil, by the way, is a light oil and absorbs into the skin. Wait a few minutes, and there won't be much residue to get on clothes.

A dermatologist helped me find out what I was allergic to. It was the preservatives in the products I was using....methylparaben and another diazinol urea. You can do this by reading the ingredients on the labels of products he cannot use.

I am able to use Head and Shoulders extra strength. I think the regular strength has methylparaben in it.

Also, I use Dove hypoallergenic bar soap for washing. He most likely will not be able to use any liquid soaps.

Also, use hypoallergenic detergent to wash his clothing. Put vinegar in the rinse water or double rinse his clothes, towels and bedding. Do not use fabric softener even if it states it is hypoallergenic as it will only be unscented.

I do not recommend making your own products for his use. Tom's of Maine makes many good products, but I find I dont need to use them.

Best of luck

My dermatologist told me to use Dove products for sensitive skin.

Besides the Shaklee products I have had success with Amway products too (deordorants). My severe allergies make laundry to personal hygiene difficult. My sons all loved the Amway roll on deor. and they had no allergies. I would buy by the case.

My grandchildren with asthma/allergies us Johnson Baby wash for shampoo and maybe always will. They are 2 and 6.

Thanks for all the feedback!