What are "Fashion Earrings"?

I had my ears pierced a few months ago and will be purchasing earrings. I was wondering what the term "fashion earrings" means? Are these made by designers, or does it mean what is in fashion today? I will not be buying expensive earrings, any suggestions on where to buy (department stores, Avon, etc.)?

Thanks,
P.J. from Delaware

Best Answer

I think "fashion earrings" is a nicer way of saying "costume jewelry", that is, not gold, silver, platinum, or reals stones.

I think "fashion earrings" are what are considered "in fashion"... I buy my earrings according to my taste and what I am wearing them with. If you have no allegies to the different metals you'd be fine to buy them any where. If I like a pair from Avon, I get them...otherwise I just pick them up at walmart. If you have a Claire's near you...they have some really cute earrings...hope this helps!

Avon sometimes has the best earrings and any

dept. store I usually browse the sale racks.

Have fun!

Fashion earrings are basically costume jewelry (made from base metals, vs. sterling or gold).

If you find that you have a sensitity to base metal, try putting a couple coats of clear nail polish on the posts or hooks.

Walmart sells nickel-free earrings very inexpensively, these are great for those of us with metal sensitivities.

Don't sleep in earrings after they heal. This only serves to strain and stretch the ear holes through the years.

Sleeping in base metal earrings can lead to intolerances later on from many hours of exposure. This is one path you absolutely do not want to follow.

Fashion earrings = costume jewelry.

Do not brush your hair wearing earrings or you may tear the earring right out of your ear lobe. Not a good idea.

The daughter of a friend of mine can no longer wear pierced earrings because of many years of wearing very heavy pairs and sleeping in them. She needs to have surgery for a torn ear lobe now. Something to be aware of.

You'd be surprised at how reasonable real gold earrings can be. Check out mall jewelry booths, Kohl's Dept. store, Wal-Mart and Target's sales. I have made some great purchases from Kohl's Dept. store. They have a table with earrings close to, but not in the jewelry dept. Usually $40 earrings for $12.

I have noticed that the less expensive earring selection usually has a few pairs that are actually in a better quality category.

I prefer 10 kt gold as it is less expensive than 14 k and more durable. But a person with base metal allergies would not be able to wear them. They'd need 14 or 18 K or platinum. Like I said, you don't want to go there.

My basics are purchased in 2 colors: gold and white gold (white gold looks like silver but doesn't tarnish).

Small hoops and small balls. Suggest you go with these for starters. You can always branch out into other styles later on. But these styles go with just about everything. Also suggest you get one pair of cz (cubic zirconia = fake diamond) studs. Then you will have a pair for elegant events.

If you could not wear heavy earrings before getting them pierced, then you won't be able to now. Not all earring backs are the same size. Am telling you this in case you buy a pair with no backs on sale and then wonder why other backs don't fit.

You might try sally's. Also, you can buy special backs that are larger than the ones the earrings come with (nearly as big as a dime) that reduces strain and is more comfortable.

I'd make sure your ears heal really well before using costume jewelry (anything that's not considered fine jewelry) but my teenage daughter turned me on to something cool. We don't shop for clothes at the shops that sell clothes for the larger women but hey, they have GREAT jewelry. It's a secret they've had. Hey, if my teenager (18) would go in there you know it has to be alright as far as fashion jewelry. Have fun and let those ears heal real well or you'll be paying the price in the long run. :)

I found some really great sterling silver earrings at T.J. Max for $9.99. They have awesome jewlery.

Fashion earrings are not made with precious metals, such as gold or silver, nor are they made with gemstones.

For pierced ears, it is important to buy only earrings that are non-allergic: sterling silver, fine silver, gold, platinum or titanium. Plated materials work, too, if the base metal is non-allergic.

Many fashion earrings do have gold posts or wires, so that there is no allergic reaction. Some people can be allergic to lower grades of gold, such as 14K and 10K. You will learn by experience.

Fashion jewelry is generally made of very low-grade metal and is most likely copper, nickel, tin, or bronze. Sometimes it can be sterling silver or very low-grade gold. I am allergic to all of the above hehe...

a word to the wise: if you want jewelrry that lasts and won't turn black when the shiny stuf rubs off, go for quality not quantity and buy maybe one pair of real gold earrings instead of a gazillion pairs of ucky ones.

Fashion jewelry is for the styles that are in fashion at the minute..who wants to be wearing last yrs fashion next year anyway! thats why it is made from vheap metal that will eventually go black!

jewelry box with drawers overflowing with jewelry
Wearing Costume Jewelry
Health & Beauty Beauty AdviceMarch 15, 2006
Guide
Wearing Earrings With Sensitive Skin
Wearing Earrings With Sensitive Skin
🎄
🍂