I just heard that using Tang in your dishwasher will keep your dishes crystal clear and from spotting. Does anyone know if this is true?
By Rhonda from Clyde, TX
Using Your Dishwasher? TANG and More (from everydaysimplicity.blogspot.com)
Okay, using a dishwasher may not be the simplest of things. You're using electricity and water that washing by hand avoids.
However, simplicity is a continuum -- we are all on different points on the line. And, for those still using their dishwasher, here are some handy hints:
1. Don't pre-rinse the dishes with a running tap. Take a bowl; fill it with hot, soapy water; use a sponge and wipe the dishes using this water. Tell yourself you're being European if this helps. Studies show that running a tap to pre-rinse the dishes uses 25 gallons per meal. Appliance manufacturers suggest that you just scrape and load: as we all know, this doesn't work well - which is why pre-rinsing continues.
2. If the dishes come out spotted, or worse yet, with a soap film - try Tang. There are those vinegar stories out there, but a half-container of Tang run thru a full cycle in an empty dishwasher gives a better result. (It's the citric acid in the Tang that helps to clean the dishwasher itself.) For a really good cleaning, after the Tang run, try a run of vinegar and baking-soda combo -- the dishwasher will run as good as new.
3. Run the hot water in the tap till it's hot, before you turn on the dishwasher. Hot water is essential for a good dishwasher result. Hey, and use the water you ran for something: make tea, water a plant, refill the dog bowl.
4. Always run the dishwasher when the load is full.
5. Don't use the dishwasher's "dry" function. Once the rinse is done, let the machine's work be done. Crack the door open, and air dry.
Haven't tried Tang, but it could possibly work! I use a product called LemiShine which is basically a citric acid based product. It works great! I wonder if it would be cheaper to use Tang or powdered Lemonade? I guess I'll have to try it out tonight. :-)
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!