General AdviceConsumer Advice

Preventing a Garbage Disposal from Rusting Through

I just had a garbage disposal that rusted through. It's not a top-of-the-line disposal, but I think we had it replaced about 5 years ago. That seems awfully quick to me, but it was definitely rusted through.

Here's my question: Is there something that me or my family might be doing that might have precipitated the rust? In other words, might we be using it incorrectly or might we have some bad habits that are causing water to sit there and rust the thing?

I'm grateful for any suggestions as to how to keep it healthy so that we don't have to replace it so quickly next time. I have already heard that grinding lemons keeps it smelling good and that grinding ice keeps the blades sharp. Any other ideas?

By Tina

I don't know, Tina, but I'm curious to see what others say. My husband replaced ours last year and I'd like to make sure it lasts as long as possible!

We had to do the same.Kenmore replaced after about 6 years. I thought it was the vinegar an baking soda. Just a thought.

We had to do the same. Kenmore replaced after about 6 years. I thought it was the vinegar an baking soda. Just a thought.