Preventing a Garbage Disposal from Rusting Through

I just had a garbage disposal that rusted through. It's not a top-of-the-line disposal, but I think we had it replaced about 5 years ago. That seems awfully quick to me, but it was definitely rusted through.

Here's my question: Is there something that me or my family might be doing that might have precipitated the rust? In other words, might we be using it incorrectly or might we have some bad habits that are causing water to sit there and rust the thing?

I'm grateful for any suggestions as to how to keep it healthy so that we don't have to replace it so quickly next time. I have already heard that grinding lemons keeps it smelling good and that grinding ice keeps the blades sharp. Any other ideas?

By Tina

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I don't know, Tina, but I'm curious to see what others say. My husband replaced ours last year and I'd like to make sure it lasts as long as possible!

We had to do the same.Kenmore replaced after about 6 years. I thought it was the vinegar an baking soda. Just a thought.

We had to do the same. Kenmore replaced after about 6 years. I thought it was the vinegar an baking soda. Just a thought.

Answer

Consumer Advice General AdviceMay 19, 2011
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer), Man's hands holding a power screwdriver to a garbage disposal.
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer)
Celery and Banana Going into Garbage Disposal
Cleaning a Garbage Disposal
kitchen sink
Unclogging a Garbage Disposal
steel wool
Preventing Brillo or SOS Pads from Rusting
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 12, 2016 at 7:21:44 PM on 10.0.1.227 in 469 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.