Locating A Toilet Leak - Categories:

Locating A Toilet Leak

If your water bill has suddenly become increasingly high, you can rest assured that you have a leak somewhere. Once you recognize there is a problem, you will need to set out to determine where the leak is coming from so that you may repair it adequately. However, you may be surprised to discover that many toilets are the cause of high water bills, so you may want to begin by checking your toilet for leaks. If you notice condensation on your toilet bowl or tank, or hear your toilet automatically flush, then you most likely have a leak in your toilet.

If you would like to locate the leak yourself, you will need to purchase a mechanic's stethoscope. This will help you find the source of the leak. To begin, you will need to turn off every appliance in your home that uses water. Once all of the appliances are off, check your water meter and make a note of the reading. In about half an hour, double check the meter, if it has moved, then you know there is a definite leak. Now you will need to use the mechanic's stethoscope to help locate the leak. If you can tell that there is a definite leak, then you should contact a plumber.

Andy from Dreshar, PA

About The Author: This article has been provided courtesy of eLocalPlumbers.com (http://www.elocalplumbers.com), the nation's #1 directory of local plumbers. Find a local plumber or plumbing contractor by zip code and get free plumbing tips and advice at eLocalPlumbers.com.

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

A very simple way to detect toilet tank leakage is to color the water in the tank with some food coloring. If the water in the bowl becomes colored before the toilet is flushed again, you have a leak.

Indeed...food coloring is a lot cheaper than a mechanic's stethoscope, LOL!

My toilet was leaking so bad, I had to get a few out to my house. One wasn't able to handle it all by himself, so he got one more. It was crazy. I don't think I've ever seen so much water come from a toilet.

Thanks for the tips! Now I will have some actual information to tell my plumber in Framingham, MA instead of just a hunch that something isn't right.

My water bill has been increasing quite a bit for the last few months. I am suspecting that it could be a leaky toilet. I will have to inspect mine to see if there is any possible cracks anywhere. I appreciate you posting this because it never occurred to me that it could be my toilet.

Jayden Eden | http://cbrothers.com/air-conditioning-az

Home and Garden Repair Home PlumbingJuly 18, 2008
Bar of Soap Stuck in a Toilet
Bar of Soap Stuck in Toilet
White toilet.
Toilet Tank Wobbles
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
Saving Money on Toilet Paper