How Do I Make a Simple Dust Ruffle?

I would like to know how to make an easy bed ruffle.

By Carolyn from Naples, FL

You can take a flat sheet fabric and cut it from mattress edge to edge on all four corners. Then measure from floor to top of mattress. Allow a couple of inches more for a hemline and sewing to large piece of fabric. Depending if you want a lot of gathering of fabric for the skirting or more straight flat look on the sides, you could create a pleat at each corner and buy several yards of fabric to do the job. Any extra fabric could be used to make toss or bolster pillows or even a small padded throw to place at end of bed to match.

Correction: I mean box springs; not the mattress top. This will lay on top of the box springs with the mattress carefully placed over it.

I have seen on some of the decorating shows on HGTV where they take a flat sheet that is larger than the box spring and slide it between the mattress and box spring and let the edges hang to the floor. Of course whether or not this works will depend on the size of your bed. I think it looks nice.

Hi,

I just used an old sheet and sewed a pleated ruffle around the three sides. There may be easier ways. I'm a lazy seamstress, but it seemed easy enough for me.

Using the sheet and cut it the same size as what a normal area would be from an old dust ruffle. Buy the valances that match your bedspread or whatever color and sew the valances to the sheet so that it will hit the floor where you would want it. It works great. Just make sure when you sew the valance on to the sheet you leave the space at the end for the corner by cutting it and stitching it to fit the corner.

Crafts Home DecorNovember 8, 2010
Someone dusting the corner of a room with a duster.
Keeping Your House Dusted
A woman dusting her house.
Preventing Dust in Your House
Rendering of a dust mite on a white background.
Getting Rid of Dust Mites
multicolored scarf
Making a Crocheted Ruffle Scarf
🎉
🎄