Perished Rubber Mat Stuck to Vinyl Floor

I used a rubber bathmat under the laundry sink. It worked well until I tried to pick it up. The rubber has perished and is now stuck to the floor! HELP! How do I get perished rubber off a vinyl floor? It's bad!

Kathryn from Wellington, New Zealand

Try spraying floor with WD-40 and let sit a few minutes then scrap up.

The same thing happened to me on my kitchen floor, it was a mess! I just had to take my time with a butter knife and scrape & scrape. This was a 6 foot long rug, I was so teed off, it was like it had melted to the floor! I didn't think of wd-40 at the time, but it may have worked better than the elbow grease I was having to use! I will never buy those rugs like that again! They even stuck to my carpet, go figure! And that was really a mess! At least I learned my lesson on buying those kind of rugs!

Thank you! I also tried the WD40 trick on a wood floor that had a rubber carpet mat stuck to it after 18 years. Goo-gone and TSP had failed; WD 40 enabled me to scrape off the stuck bits after a 10 minute soak. The discoverer of this trick deserves a Nobel prize!

Rug on a kitchen floor.
Removing Rug Backing Stuck to a Floor
Home and Garden Cleaning FloorsFebruary 18, 2008
Purple Yoga Mat
Cleaning a Yoga Mat
A crafter using rubber stamps to decorate a handmade card.
Cleaning Rubber Stamps
Pile of Colorful Rubberbands
Using Rubber Bands to Make Stamps
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet