Will Vicks on the Fence Keep Raccoons Out?

Will using Vicks on top of my fence keep raccoons out?

By dabberqueen from Ontario, Canada

Many people believe that Vicks will help, or Mothballs, but they rarely work, especially in large areas, like outdoors (sometimes they can work inside a garbage can, but that's about it!) Here's some other options from $15 to $50 & they will keep many different critters out of your yard & garden. Including a motion activated ultrasonic blast of noise that humans can't hear (this will also keep cats away, so if you have an outdoor cat, don't use it) & a motion-activated sprinkler & some other cool tools:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&am ... 721186919&ref=pd_sl_955y6rjjih_b

I noticed that my bird feeder was attracting raccoons to my yard (so I took them down) & my neighbor said that his fruit orchard attracted them, & the garbage can & burn pile on my other neighbors property. An friend of mine had every one of his chickens taken away in the night by raccoons. He found the carcasses the next day. They sucked the blood out & left them to rot (that a waste!) In 2 days, they got all 30 chickens! To keep raccoons at bay, you have to remove ANYTHING & EVERYTHING that may be attracting them to your yard & your close-by neighbors yards too! If that doesn't work, you can rent traps form your local animal control (they LOVE dog & cat food in the traps!) then let the raccoons out in the woods FAR AWAY from your home.

A raccoon got a hold of my Aunts big dog & she had an almost impossible time getting her dog out of the Raccoons grip! So, if you have a cat, keep it inside & if you have a dog, stand watch while he does his business until you've gotten rid of any possibility of a raccoon attacks. They are fearless & usually unafraid of humans! (we threw rocks towards him & he kept coming closer & closer!) PLUS, they carry Rabies! Be sure your pets are vaccinated every 3 years! Also, don't think they only come out at NIGHT, because here in my area, they come out during the day & at dusk too!

Funny that you should ask this . . . I've been trying to think of ways to keep the stray cats out of my raised vegetable garden. I cover it with landscape fabric through the winter, or else they think it's a huge litterbox. The other night my husband used a little vaporub, and our nosey cat came over to see what was going on. One whiff and his little lips curled and he squinted his eyes -- he quickly left. So this evening I took a tub of generic vaporub and applied liberally to the sides of my bed. I don't know whether or not it will work. I'm going to keep an eye out to see if there are any cats snooping around, and I plan to reapply. I'm not going to try to keep the cats out of my entire yard, I would just like to keep them out of a few particular areas.

Home and Garden Gardening Pest ControlMay 2, 2010
Raccoon in park trash bin with plastic bag in its mouth.
Keeping Raccoons Out of the Trash
Raccoon sitting in the garden near a flower pot.
Keeping Raccoons Out of Your Garden
Vick's Vaporub
Vicks VapoRub Stains on Clothing
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage, Raccoon Scavenging Garbage
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage