Pattern for Pioneer or Settlers Bonnet

I need a pattern for an old bonnet. I am looking for something similar to a civil war, pioneer, colonial, or prairie fair bonnet.

By Gloria from Defuniak Springs, FL

Answers

If you are talking about a poke bonnet, perhaps I can help as I remember my grandmother making one, I am 70 now. The brim is a rectangle of folded material with ends stitched; then turned. Next stitch from fold to open side, about 1 inches or so apart. These will have strips of cardboard slipped into them. This produces the sun shade part. The part that covers the head is also a rectangle the same length as the brim and is wide enough to cover the back of the neck and is stitched to the brim. I don't remember how, but it was done in such a way that the cardboard could be removed for washing. This piece was gathered about an inch from bottom, and the edges were folded over and stitched. Ties were added. I hope this helps. If you sew much, I think you can figure out the details which are lost to me. Good luck.

May 14, 2010 Flag

I live in a developing nation in the South Pacific (Vanuatu). Craft materials are very limited. I bring in what I can when I visit my home country, but restrictions apply. Can anyone supply me with a pattern to make a Pioneer woman’'s bonnet. I think that you may call it an early settler’'s bonnet.

I have a small piece of stiffening for the wide brim. I guess that the bonnet has a circular/oval section at the back of the head and some gathered fabric coming forward towards the forehead and then, the brim. I have been making cloth dolls for the local children. They are made small (7 1/2 inches and smaller), as cotton fabric used for folk/Amish dolls/patchworking is as scarce as hens’ teeth. Many thanks for your great ideas. Happy crafting.

HeatherJoanne

Editor's Note: This is a Australian Early Settlers Bonnet, not American. She says they look kind of like the bonnets in, Gone With The Wind.

Answers:

Pattern for Pioneer or Settlers Bonnet

Do a search for "Amish headcovering". There are several sites that have bonnet patterns of various types. At least it might give you some ideas.

(10/05/2007)

By Cantate

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
girl wearing a bonnet holding a basket of grapes
Bonnet Patterns
Crafts SewingMay 14, 2010
Osage Orange Tree "Hedge Apple"
Growing an Osage Orange Tree "Hedge Apple"
stack of yo yo paper weights
Making Yo Yo Pattern Weights
wood toolbox
Pioneer Solutionism
Native American War Bonnet
Native American War Bonnet (Headdress) Patterns
🎉
🎄