Getting Top Off Pressure Cooker

Any one know how to get presser cooker top off? it's a large one that can be used for canning, It was closed after it was washed by mistake, We tried running hot & cold water over it. I sure would like you help. Thanks Sharry

my husband said try heating it up on the stove.

try standing it upside down and putting a little oil on the rubber seal, then give it a good hard twist after a few minutes. Don't leave the oil on too long... it may damage the seal after time. Wash well and good luck

Maybe your cooker has pulled a vacuum. Try poking a thin wire, such as a twist-tie wire down the vent tube. It may be clogged.

This happened to me years ago!

I had canned a batch of food and couldn't get it off. Wellllll----I took the canner to my car dealer and had them take it off! It took them an hour to get it off. Even with all their tools. I think they used a torch to heat it, and 2 guys to unscrew it. And remember I had a load of jars canned in it too. I complained to the company and they sent me a new canner and I sent them back the one that did this. I hope you get a good laugh about this-- I did.

The other story I have to tell is that I went and bought a new stainless steel 6 quart one, 15 years ago. It was a popular brand and expensive at that time. Now I have had about 4 presure cookers in the past, but this one was an ornery one with a sealing ring to cuss at. Thinking that the ring was a problem, I bought a new one. That one was just as bad! I left it alone for 10 years then since the popularity of them came back and I had loved my first one that was electric, I decided to try again. I went on line and emailed the company about my problem cooker and seal. They emailed me back that I didn't know what I was doing and I should send the lid to me and they would install the seal for me. That made me verrrry verrrrrry angry. Needless to say their customer service @#^$@&*#@ !!!!! I figured when I went to wash it I would have to send it to them to get it clean?

Both of these were different brands and some of the best you could buy at the time.

I've been thinking of buying another sealing ring and trying again. But then I've lived this long without any and wonder if I want to risk the hassel.

When this happens to my canner, I take a flat head screw driver and pry upwards where the lid screws down. Once it pops, the seal is released and I can unscrew and remove lid normally. My canner doesn't have a ring but I don't know if that would make a difference.

I know this is unrelated; but could anyone tell me if they have heard that or have a site with information on whether or not cooking food with a pressure cooking causes cancer or not?

Pressure Cooker on White Background
Using A Pressure Cooker
Food and Recipes CanningJanuary 13, 2005
Pressure Washing a House
Pressure Washing Your House
Side of Spanish rice.
Making Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker
Open Pressure Cooker
Removing Pressure Cooker Gasket Odor
Pressure Cooker with Vegetables
Pressure Cooker Recipes