Ideas for Using Stand from a Bird Bath

The neighbor's cat knocked the bowl off of my bird bath and broke it in two. Any ideas for the stand that is left?

Mary from Newark, California

You can put a gazing ball on it. You will need the putty or something to hold it in.

If you go to your garden shop home depot or lowes & target carries these. They sell various sizes in terra cotta saucers, some even have a glaze to them, that is what I use.

Put an old colorful bowling ball on it.

It is sturdy enough that a cat cannot knock it down.

Sometimes if you go to a bowling alley and ask for

an old chipped ball they will give it to you.

Bright blue or red would look great.

Purchase a large plastic plant saucer and guerrilla Glue a flowerpot upside down to the bottom center of the saucer. being sure the flowerpot is a tight fit over the base. This way you have your birdbath back

My problem is not cats it is raccoons.

Put a sun dial on it, or a weather vain?

You can use it as a plant stand or put a round piece of glass on it and use it as a side table.

You can also find a hubcap and glue it to your base. I have a hubcap they use to call a "moon" that is solid and it works for me. I call it my "hippy birdbath".

I put a statue on top of mine, one you get at the garden shop or from Walmart or a statutory place.

It depends on what type of base you have as to it's uses. If it's one of the 'hollow' bases you have more options. You can use the top to hold a gazing ball. I make my gazing balls from bowling balls decorated with glass globs and they look nice displayed on top of a birdbath stand. You can turn it over and bury the 'top' and use the bottom to hold pots, use as a planter or sit a Terracotta Saucer on for a bird bath. If your stand is a concrete type and has the 'bump' on top to hold the bath portion you can turn the base over and sink it into a hole to hold it upright then use the base for a plant stand or set a Terracotta Saucer on it for a bird bath.

Same thing happened to one of my bird baths. I went to a garden store and bought a huge saucer meant for catching excess water from large potted plants. Unfortunaty it is plastic and doesn't look as nice -- but birds don't seem to mind!

You can also buy just the top for your birdbath at many lawn and garden stores, and even Agway.

I had this happen to two of my birdbaths, both of which were concrete. We had no place that sold replacement bowls. One was a small, low birdbath; I bought a terracotta plant saucer to put on top. In the center, I put a large smooth river rock to both hold the bowl in place and for the birds to perch on. They seemed to like it and used it this way for years, until the base broke. The second one was a really big, tall birdbath. I put a round, concrete stepping stone on top, and it makes a wonderful plant stand that I use on my porch. I've seen where you can make a mold in wet sand and pour concrete in to make a new top, but it seemed like too much trouble for me at the time. My neighbor had a really nice terracotta birdbath that the top broke to, and she turned hers upside-down and uses it in her entry to hold umbrellas. The shape of hers suited an umbrella/cane holder wonderfully.

Better Living Green Living ReusingDecember 10, 2008
Lilac Bubble Bath
Lilac Bubble Bath
Organizing Bath Toys
Organizing Bath Toys
Finished birdbath.
Flower Pot Bird Bath
Toddler with bubbles on hair and end of nose.
Homemade Bubble Bath Recipes
🎄