Can Purebred Dachshunds Be White?

Your site, as well as many others, say that dachshunds cannot be white. Do you mean no white what-so-ever, or just not stark white? Over the internet, at certain breeders, they have what certainly appear to be purebred dachshunds, they are advertised as such, and cost into the 1000s of dollars (more for the whited ones, actually). Not to mention the whited ones are adorable! Are these not really pure dachshunds at all?

Michael G.

Use Google and do some research on purebred Dachshunds, I know that you'll be able to find quite a number of websites that will answer a lot of your questions.

Piebald doxies are white with other colors, brown, black, and I think red. They are more costly than the other doxies. Also, there are dapple doxies that are black and tan or red with silver markings throughout. Hope this helps.

Cheryl S.

The AKC doesn't recognize white doxies. That by itself really shouldn't bother you unless you plan on showing the dog, but this link to a reputable breeder has a lot of interesting info:

If I read it correctly, it sounds like the white dogs are produced by breeding between carriers of recessive genes. That may sound harmless enough as a way to promote the unusual white color, but what I found disturbing in the article was that all-white Dachshunds often also have a higher tendency toward blindness (the writer of the piece linked here also said that it's not uncommon for these white pups to be born WITHOUT EYES altogether), and other health problems.

Which has to make you wonder if the breeders throwing outrageous price tags on these unusual white pups are trying to make a quick buck to draw in buyers who want something "different"-- at the possible expense of the animal.

They can have white in them but I have never seen an all White Doxie.

I have a hard time believing that a breeder would do this to a dog, just to make a few more bucks. That breeder needs to be unliciensed. It is cruel to do that to a dog. I saw a white doxie, and it was born with one eye. The girl that owned it paid $1500.00 for that dog. Along with the missing eye, she has had to take the dog to the vet for multiple medical problems. My question was why? There are beautiful dachshunds out there without having a freak of nature born and then charge outragous prices, esp, when it is not recognized by the AKC. JMHO Patti

This my purebred albino dachshund she's 1 1/2 years and is in between a mini and a standard, she was an accident to be honest, but never the less I will explain how she came to be. Her mother is a dapple and her father is too, but her father is also her older brother so... Yeah she's the second one that I've heard of and that's after hunting down the other online. if anyone knows of another please contact me at brandon.n.lee20 AT

2 white Double Dapples; both blind & deaf.

Hi there,

I'm from Holland and since December 2013, I've got a white Doxie too, named Noddy.

He's a Double Dapple and he's deaf & blind.

He and his (also deaf & blind) sister have their own Facebookpage:

Pets Dogs Dog Breeds DachshundNovember 13, 2010
Long Haired Dachshunds
Grooming Long Haired Dachshunds
Substitute White Sauce in Stuffed Tomatoes
Substitutes For White Sauce
Woman with White Hair
Caring for White Hair
Photo of a Mini Dachshund by the water.
Dachshund Breed Information and Photos