Black Water Coming from Faucets

Suddenly I have spurts of dark, blackish water coming out of multiple faucets, including the bathtub, when the garbage disposal is running. At least that's what I have found so far. Is this likely to be from a blockage of the disposal or a much more serious pipe problem? I don't see bits of food, just the dark water in spurts. Scary to think I've possibly been bathing or drinking this water if I didn't happen to see it come out of the faucet! Thanks for any help!

By Diane from L.A.

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Your water lines should not be connected to the garbage disposal. I would say call your water company if you are not on a well. If you are renting call the landlord. Ask neighbors about their water. Call the local board of health if all else fails. It could be old pipes that are causing this too. Save some of this "dirty" water and have it tested in a lab, this way you know what you have in your water. Good luck finding the cause. I would cook with bottled water, and use it for brushing my teeth.

Thanks so much. I found out yesterday that it is likely that my water heater is rusting on the inside. That explains the bathtub water being noticed first. Supposedly when the water gets low in the tank, it churns up the rusty sediments. Bought a new water heater last night, to be installed today. I just hope this is truly the cause. :)

Home and Garden Home Improvement PlumbingJanuary 5, 2010
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
Plumber fixing a leaky faucet.
Fixing Leaky Faucets
A clean bathroom faucet.
Cleaning Bathroom Fixtures
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 8:03:28 AM on 10.0.0.82 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.