Black Water Coming from Faucets

Suddenly I have spurts of dark, blackish water coming out of multiple faucets, including the bathtub, when the garbage disposal is running. At least that's what I have found so far. Is this likely to be from a blockage of the disposal or a much more serious pipe problem? I don't see bits of food, just the dark water in spurts. Scary to think I've possibly been bathing or drinking this water if I didn't happen to see it come out of the faucet! Thanks for any help!

By Diane from L.A.

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Sandi 7 183 01/09/2010

Your water lines should not be connected to the garbage disposal. I would say call your water company if you are not on a well. If you are renting call the landlord. Ask neighbors about their water. Call the local board of health if all else fails. It could be old pipes that are causing this too. Save some of this "dirty" water and have it tested in a lab, this way you know what you have in your water. Good luck finding the cause. I would cook with bottled water, and use it for brushing my teeth.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Diane 1 1 01/12/2010

Thanks so much. I found out yesterday that it is likely that my water heater is rusting on the inside. That explains the bathtub water being noticed first. Supposedly when the water gets low in the tank, it churns up the rusty sediments. Bought a new water heater last night, to be installed today. I just hope this is truly the cause. :)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No