Wood Filler to Repair Stripped Screw Holes in Door Frame

I have a problem with a wooden dutch split style lower door. Because it goes into a laundry area, I have had a problem with the door hinge on it coming out of the wood door frame. The metal anchor screws have been coming out about once a year and I've used a repair plate on one side of the door trim to firm up the hinge against the wood to create a tight installation, once putting the metal anchor screws back in.

However, I've had to use more than one type of wood putty/wood glue to replace the holes in the frame due to these screws coming loose over time with repeated wear.

I need someone with some woodworking expertise to recommend a wood filler product that will be durable enough not to crumble or disintegrate in the door frame so that this doesn't keep happening and I won't be frustrated with yearly repairs. I've tried at least 3 kinds. Is there any kind of industrial wood with epoxy type filler on the market available anywhere that I can buy?

By Marilyn from Cleveland, OH

Well one thing comes to mind is to use bigger screws. You may have to make the holes in the hinge larger by drilling with a little bigger drill. Another idea that may work is to drill the screw hole the same size as the screw in the wood frame then glue a dowel in the hole with an epoxy adhesive. When cured drill a small pilot hole and remount the hinge with the original screws.

Yes, a hardwood dowel. Allow glue to dry completely. Any hardwood will do. Repair kits might still be available at ACE Hardware stores.

The songwriter

Why not replace it with a bi-fold door, they are very inexpensive and easy to install?

Home and Garden Repair Home DoorsAugust 21, 2010
Tight Screw
Loosening a Tight Screw
Wood with a screw in it.
Fixing a Loose Screw in Wood
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
Photo of a screw.
Removing a Stripped Screw
🎄
🍂