Make A Gnat Trap

By adbdnc 1

contest winner icon

I also have a gnat problem again this year. The only thing that worked for me was to take a 9 oz. or larger glass, make a funnel out of paper (computer or notebook) with a tiny opening at bottom. Make the top (opening for gnat entrance) large enough to fit in the glass and use tape to hold it in place. I found they will find a way out if the bottom funnel hole is too large and or if the top part isn't taped securely around the glass. Funnel made from notebook paper.

Paper funnel down inside of drinking glass. Trapped gnats visible in the glass.

Pour enough apple cider vinegar in glass (before adding funnel), to get it as close as possible to bottom of funnel. The smell of vinegar attracts them to the funnel and in they go and can't get out. You'll see them walking around inside the glass trying every way possible to get out. They'll get tired and drown in the apple cider vinegar. Place these where you see them the most, in the kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, etc. They like moist areas. Remember to redo every couple days. I tried plastic cups, but for some reason, they go to the glass better. Good luck!

By adbdnc from NH

Showing: Comments Sort

By mary knight 21 122 Flag

I wonder if this, or similar, would also work outside for no-see-ums and gnats in the grass. We have a terrible problem. Another thing you could try is take a 2-liter bottle or plastic gallon with apple cider vinegar in it as attractant. They will climb in, but cannot get out the narrow opening, I'd bet. You posted a great tip, which I will remember and try.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Dee 3 142 Flag

You can just add a few drops of dish soap to the apple cider vinegar and you do not need a funnel. I use glass baby food jars.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By rdhin 1 Flag

We have done the vinegar and soap with limited success. We tried one of the old fly tapes you pull out of the cylinder and thumbtack to the ceiling. It works like a dream, it gets them all continuously until you find the nest.

roger

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Furious girl with a fly swatter.
Getting Rid of Gnats
Previous
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Furious girl with a fly swatter.
Getting Rid of Gnats
Dryer Lint Trap
Cleaning the Dryer Lint Trap
baby skunk and wildflowers
Removing a Skunk from a Live Trap
Leprechaun Trap
Leprechaun Trap Cake
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 7, 2016 at 10:04:54 AM on 10.0.0.127 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings