Make A Gnat Trap

contest winner icon

I also have a gnat problem again this year. The only thing that worked for me was to take a 9 oz. or larger glass, make a funnel out of paper (computer or notebook) with a tiny opening at bottom. Make the top (opening for gnat entrance) large enough to fit in the glass and use tape to hold it in place. I found they will find a way out if the bottom funnel hole is too large and or if the top part isn't taped securely around the glass. Funnel made from notebook paper.

Pour enough apple cider vinegar in glass (before adding funnel), to get it as close as possible to bottom of funnel. The smell of vinegar attracts them to the funnel and in they go and can't get out. You'll see them walking around inside the glass trying every way possible to get out. They'll get tired and drown in the apple cider vinegar. Place these where you see them the most, in the kitchen, bathroom, laundry room, etc. They like moist areas. Remember to redo every couple days. I tried plastic cups, but for some reason, they go to the glass better. Good luck!

By adbdnc from NH

Paper funnel down inside of drinking glass. Trapped gnats visible in the glass.

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

I wonder if this, or similar, would also work outside for no-see-ums and gnats in the grass. We have a terrible problem. Another thing you could try is take a 2-liter bottle or plastic gallon with apple cider vinegar in it as attractant. They will climb in, but cannot get out the narrow opening, I'd bet. You posted a great tip, which I will remember and try.

You can just add a few drops of dish soap to the apple cider vinegar and you do not need a funnel. I use glass baby food jars.

We have done the vinegar and soap with limited success. We tried one of the old fly tapes you pull out of the cylinder and thumbtack to the ceiling. It works like a dream, it gets them all continuously until you find the nest.

roger

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Furious girl with a fly swatter.
Getting Rid of Gnats
Dryer Lint Trap
Cleaning the Dryer Lint Trap
baby skunk and wildflowers
Removing a Skunk from a Live Trap
Leprechaun Trap
Leprechaun Trap Cake
Mouse Trap With Cheese
Best Bait for a Mouse Trap
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 26, 2016 at 3:05:51 AM on 10.0.0.75 in 338 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.