Repainting Old Furniture

If you are like me and tend to tire of your possessions easily, it pays to go to thrift shops and garage sales for shopping. I pay $5 for a beat up old coffee table or chair, sand it down and paint it. After I'm done with it in a few years or so, it still looks like new, I place it in my own garage sale for $15. I have never lost money on this technique, usually I make about two to three times the money. I get to change my decor often without spending much money. It is so much fun to make something look so different!

By Susan from Elkhart, IN

Excellent recycling and frugal idea. You are expressing the artistic and creative sides of yourself without too much money invested and using what you've made as well. Not too many artists can say that. :-)

I like "painted" furniture anyway. I also love beautiful wood, but when the beautiful wood has been used a lot, it can become somewhat beat-up, and a good coat of paint is just what the doctor ordered to make it interesting again.

Might not be a new idea, but it's certainly one that is going to be used a lot more in the next few years. When we can't afford to buy, use and toss, we're going to have to look for ways to keep and use what we already have.

Thanks for sharing.

Pookarina

Great way to add to the "gas fund" in these days of rising gas costs... and by refinishing used items, you're also saving them from the landfill. If you didn't want to paint an item, you could always simply use clear lacquer. Smart thinking!

I too prefer the painted look, however, where I live a person would never get $15.00 for a painted chair.I realize a lot depends on the neighbor hood a person lives in too. I have never lived in bad, poor neighborhoods, but I can't even sell a book for ten cents.

Painting Furniture
Painting Furniture
Better Living Frugal Living TipsJune 27, 2010
Finding the Value of Conant Ball Furniture
Furniture polish being sprayed on wood furniture.
Removing Furniture Polish Build Up from Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
painting furniture
Making Old Furniture Look New
🎉
🎄