Last of the Lettuce Soup

I know this sounds a little weird. Okay, a lot weird. But, this recipe is a great way to clean out the getting old and bitter lettuce in your garden, and it's also good enough to merit using regular lettuce. I like using garden produce that would otherwise become waste, but I really like the frugality, flavor, and versatility of this soup; it's very easy to customize with additions and seasonings. It's also lightning-fast to make!

• 1 cup chopped onions
  • 1 chopped garlic clove
  • 3 Tbsp. butter
  • 3/4 tsp. ground coriander
  • 1 bay leaf
  • Ad
  • 1 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 1 tsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • 3/4 cup diced (really tiny dice since the soup doesn'tsp. cook long) potato
  • 8 cups coarsely torn lettuce--any kind that is getting bitter in the garden
  • dash nutmeg
  • 1/3 cup instant mashed potatoes (optional)

Directions:

Saute onion and garlic in butter until soft. Add seasonings and stir well. Add broth and brown sugar and stir well. Add potato and lettuce and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer ten minutes. Add dash nutmeg and instant mashed potatoes if you want it to be thicker.

Now here's where it gets fun! Feel free to add stuff to the basic recipe above. Cooked chicken, browned sausage, toasted walnuts, a beaten egg, leftover cooked rice, quinoa, or barley, even a little peanut butter and sweet chili sauce! Have fun! Happy Harvest!

Servings: 4
Time:10 Minutes Preparation Time
10 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: Based on a recipe from Grant Family Farms CSA. Includes my own tweaking.

By Stephanie from Anchorage, AK

Actually it's not as weird as you might think. One year we had planted so much leaf lettuce, that I found a lettuce soup recipe on the internet. Lettuce Soup is delicious!

Even though this recipe is a little different, I think it is great- I can imagine this with cabbage or kale or spinach too! I can see adding some mushrooms as well, sounds like a great meatless fast weeknight dinner to me-add a salad or a grilled cheese sammy and dinner is done!

This is a lot like the end of garden soup, I make at the end of the season. I gather everything that is still in the garden, come in and chop it really fine and add it to chicken broth. And I mean anything that is left. Last year it was little green tomatoes, and some ripe, yellow squash, green beans, greens and a few cukes. It is all good as a soup.

Lettuce Soup Recipes
Lettuce Soup Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Soups VegetableAugust 17, 2009
Iceberg Lettuce
Growing Iceberg Lettuce
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
Head of green leaf lettuce.
Washing Lettuce
Lettuce growing in a box.
Growing Lettuce
🎉
🎄