Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Paint Colors for Bathroom with Harvest Gold Fixtures

I have a bathroom that has a harvest gold sink, toilet, and half wall with the same color tile. I want to paint. What would go with it? It is a very small bathroom.

By kk

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Nancy Cape Cod11/24/2013

That's what I have, too, in our powder room and plan to do the walls above the tile with either white wallpaper with small black fleur-de-lis or contemporary flowers. I painted our vanity black. Basically, by ignoring the color of the tiles and choosing something beautiful above them, the focus becomes the wallpaper, and black is a beautiful accent. I used this same theory in our avocado green bathroom with success. Good luck!

By Allison10/14/2010

I also think light colors would be best. Coordinate with the shower curtain.

By Pam Griffis [4]10/07/2010

Have you thought about using a wallpaper? Although my bathroom fixtures are white, the paper I have has golds, greens, rusts, etc. on a light brown background. (It's an autumn leaf pattern.) I chose it because this bathroom is off my den which is painted a color that is in the harvest gold family. The two are very complimentary to each other. I think it would help tone down all the gold in your bathroom.

By katrina [5]10/06/2010

Go with an extremely light color with the palest tinge of color in it; I did mine just about the palest green you can think of. Go to the paint stores (several different ones) and pick up "samples" of the paint available; hold up by the wall to see what jumps out and fits your fancy best. The reason for various paint stores is they have different tints available and it's important to get the right one! There was a very pale lavender that I am considering using on my bedroom, or a light tangerine color. Gold is a neutral color so any color is going to complement it really. If you are going to paint the ceiling consider using gloss paint instead of flat; it reflects the light and just really jazzes up ceilings!
Good luck to you!

By Elizabeth [1]10/05/2010

Well, I'm thinking, harvest gold is an orange gold, and a color to go with that is more of fall colors like brown orange yellows color like that. Lisa

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Paint Colors for Bathroom with Harvest Gold Fixtures

We are renting an apartment, it has a harvest yellow/gold tub and sink. We can't paint and the walls are white. What colors will go with harvest yellow/gold? I was looking at maybe an orange or a dark blue.

Angela from Lancaster, PA

RE: Paint Colors for Bathroom with Harvest Yellow Fixtures

Have you thought about using sunflowers as a theme? Or find a picture with your harvest yellow, blue, and orange, maybe something from the Grand Canyon? National Geographic has some great pictures with great colours. Or, you could do a salute to the past and decorate with a retro theme. (03/12/2009)

By laclady

I liked your idea of using blue, but I'd stay away from gold. Royal blue curtains and maybe a shower curtain with some blue and gold (OK, I said gold) print. Maybe bright blue bath mat and toilet cover. (03/12/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

I had that bathroom too, only mine had a vanity top that looked like snowflakes or something; all with the same harvest gold on a white background. Anyway, I did the navy blue/gold, but with the stars and moons. At least it looked intentional. Oh, and now that we've got our own house, no harvest gold in sight. (03/13/2009)

By LAnBfflo

If you're renting. Most landlords don't want hard to cover colors; dark anything, oranges, reds. Since you have gold fixtures how about soft yellow, pale/sea foam green, or a soft blue. (03/14/2009)

By Ms_Iceangel

I had the same issue a few years ago. I was surprised to find that a deep dark purple accented with a light lavender (blue toned lavender) went very well. I got this idea from a new modern industrial building that combined dark purple-blue, maize, and teal.

The shower curtain and towels had these purple hues with the 70's light gold color and even splashes of turquoise. I made a beach bathroom, used beach towels in these hues, with purple and teal. I found a couple of prints that had gold and purple in them, hung shells all around and topped it off with a Hawaii calender. It looked great.

My friend had the same color of sink and tub and went with similar colors, but with a Caribbean style. We both had white walls we couldn't change, but all the bright fabric, picture, and towels really made it pop! Hope this helps. (03/14/2009)

By Aurelia

I think the royal blue would look great. So would a rich emerald or forest green. (03/14/2009)

By JustPlainJo

I would go with taupe, chocolate brown, and a teal blue color. I know it is not what everyone else would choose. I am somewhat of an experimenter when it comes to colors. If you stay in the same tone of colors you will be fine. What I would do is take a picture of the tub or sink up close so you get a really good look at the color. Take it with you to the store and match it up with towels, shower curtains, and curtains. You might find something else that looks better than blue. (03/15/2009)

By bina2j

I second purple. A restaurant near me has harvest gold and purple on their walls and it looks great. I never would have thought about it unless I had seen it first! It will really make the harvest gold seem less dated and more modern. (03/16/2009)

By Beth

I have a harvest gold tub with tile enclosure. The tile and the tub are in perfect condition so we are going to change the floor, walls, toilet, and vanity/sink and make this room look nicer and more modern. Please help. What would you do? Thanks.

By Leslie from GA

RE: Paint Colors for Bathroom with Harvest Gold Fixtures

If you go with a white sink and toilet I would reglaze the tub white, $200 is very affordable. (05/24/2010)

By yoder178

I agree that the tub, toilet, and sink should match. You may be able to get away with a white or off-white sink if you choose one that has a design (with some gold in it) pattern on it. If you keep the gold tiles, I would use white tile (but put in a few accent pieces in the same shade of gold) on the floor. Or you could paint the shower tiles and use a floor tile that's in the same color family. Use a (distressed) white cabinet or one in a honey brown shade. (05/27/2010)

By PDG

I have a bathroom with harvest gold tub, sink, and toilet. The floor is brown and gold speckled. The bottom half of the wall is white ceramic. What color should I paint the top half? It is light tan now.

By Andie from Boston, MA

I had a kitchen that had harvest gold appliances and counter tops, yuk. I found some wonderful wall paper with a background color in a goldish beige and flowers in bright colors. It was so stunning that no one noticed my gold appliances anymore. Later it took me two weeks to sell the house and people were standing in line to make bids on it because of the kitchen wall paper. Our neighborhood had 4 similar homes that were for sale nearby for a year, the realtor could not believe it.

Go with something that makes it look like you chose the gold to match. I favor paper myself or you could add bead board and use turquoise or bright pink rugs and towels. Good luck. (08/10/2010)

By yoder178

How about a pale, dry, old straw colour? And get someone to to paint a large tree in shades of deep foresty greens on the wall facing the door if you can. It looks good in my mind-my dreams always work better than my hands!

Marg from England. (08/11/2010)

By jehosophat jones