How Do You Keep Hair Out of The Shower Drain

How do I stop my hair from clogging the drain in the shower? My hair that comes out in the shower is continually blocking the drain in the shower of our family bathroom? Cleaning it out is hard and often involves cleaning out some of the pipes too.

Emily from Melbourne, Australia

Sheilamay has the right idea as far as I'm concerned. If you can't find a mesh drain cover you can easily make one from a little square of window screen. Just use needle nosed pliers to turn the edges and corners down and fit it into the drain. Mine has a large-holed cover that allows hair to go into the pipes..not sure why it's even there. Maybe to stop the soap from going down! This should work for you.

I use a mesh strainer. Also, every month or so I take a piece of wire with a 1/4" crook in it. I use a clothes-hanger wire and I lower that into the drain and scrape the side, bringing the wire up each time. I get a lot of hair and gunk out that way. The screen is the first line, the wire is the second, if that doesn't completely work I use a rubber bell-type plunger. After that, it's the plumber.

Go to the local Walmart or even the dollar store. They have these little strainers that are mess and can be used--this is what I have used for years. Pick it up, wipe it clean, replace when needed. $1.

Hi, Emily,

These mesh hair-catchers do work! But how about brushing your hair really well before you get into the shower -- much less is likely to be shed that way.

Good luck,

Nancy in NC

People like me with extremely thick and curly hair, can not brush until they've showered.

Photo of a shower and bathtub.
Keeping Hair Out of Your Shower Drain
Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomMarch 16, 2009
Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes