Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Prevent Your Car Doors from Freezing

Spraying the rubber gaskets on your car doors with PAM or similar cooking spray will keep the doors from freezing shut. Just spray and then rub in with paper towel.

Source: freebie website

By Cinnamon from Williams Lake, BC

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Joan [13]02/18/2010

I've also done this to the rubber/plastic gasket on the bottom of my garage doors! They haven't frozen shut since! Another place I did this was on the spotlights for the dog's pen. The snow slipped off and I didn't have to reposition them!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Prevent your Car Door Locks and Door Seals from Freezing

Before your winter weather dips into the freezing zone, spray some WD-40 onto a soft cloth or paper towel and wipe liberally on all your car door and trunk seals to prevent them from freezing closed. Also, take your WD-40 can with the little "straw" attached to the sprayer, and liberally spray it into all your car door and trunk locks. The WD-40 will not hurt your car's paint finish, but you should wipe off the excess. This one application on the seals and in the locks usually doesn't last for the whole season, so you may have to reapply. For emergencies, I always keep a very small can of lock de-icer in my purse. - Tori

RE: Prevent your Car Door Locks and Door Seals from Freezing

Won't WD40 deteriorate the seals? (12/04/2008)

By c2s

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.