Preventing Shirts from Yellowing When Stored

How do I store white suits to avoid yellowing stains?

By Sharon from Nashville, TN

I've never had anything white or light have yellow stains except when there was a smoker in the house. It permeates through the tiniest spaces even with closed closet doors and dresser drawers. In any event, just store the clothing in very well sealed garment bags.

PS - Plastic garment bags from the cleaners are okay but place tissue paper on the shoulders of the clothing on the hangers and tie off the bottom of the bag.

Plastic bags from the cleaners are not OK! Plastic is a petroleum product and eventually breaks down and causes yellowing.

Tahlula, I guess I've been lucky using dry cleaning bags because I have some clothing items that have been stored in them for years because they are sentimental items. Your comment made me wonder why clothes would yellow because of them so I just did some surfing and it turns out that it's not the plastic in and of itself that causes the yellowing but rather the dry cleaning fluids. Then I went to my closet and and double checked those clothing items that have been stored in them and only one was slightly discolored and, as it turns out, that item is indeed the only one that had been dry cleaned.

(Submitted via email)

Hi Deeli,

I think the tip about not storing clothes in dry cleaning bags for long periods of time because the plastic breaks down and releases CFC gasses came from some clothing care expert I saw on Martha Stewart. I hope you find what works best for you.

All my best, Gina

Hi Gina :-)

Thanks so much for your dry cleaning plastic bag information and well wishing for me finding a solution but the solution/thoughts were for Sharon ;-)

Based on what I discovered and posted for Sharon when checking my closet of plastic covered clothing (some stored in the plastic for over two decades) is to not use a dry cleaners for clothes cleansing and then store in plastic.

As for Martha Stewart's advice please read this link from her site regarding dry cleaning :-( http://www.marthastewart.com/goodthings/healthy-dry-cleaning-tips

Storing Clothing
Storing Clothing
Consumer Advice Clothing AdviceApril 21, 2010
Cleaning Old Dresses
Removing Yellow Creases from Stored Dresses
Flannel Shirts
Uses for Old Flannel Shirts
fabric paint
Making Painted Shirts
New York T-Shirt
Preserving Special T-Shirts
🎉
🎄