Be Wary of Snakes in Mulch

Do not grab handfuls of mulch. Dump it out on the ground and rake through it. They have found snakes (copper heads) and other critters in the mulch still alive.

By Kelly from Lexington, KY

...so I at once googled "urban legend, snakes in mulch" and found tales of copperheads at the base of potted plants and in computers.

The baby copperheads in the potted plant turned out to be brown snakes, apparently often mistaken for copperheads. Moral: if you're in copperhead country, which most aren't, beware everything... but not too much.

This is interesting. I have found a lizard (egg had hatched) in an azalea plant that was bought at Easter time and set on the porch until July, and my mom had a toad in her indoor planter she received when she was in the hospital. Proves you can find just about anything in dirt from anywhere! I would never garden again if I found a snake! I could see a snake crawling in a pile of mulch.....eweeew!

This Spring, I had bags of mulch, and before I put the mulch down, I just laid the bags around my garden area for several weeks to manage the weedy edges. . .ok, so I could have weeded it by hand, but, it was pretty thick weeds, and I had other things to do then, so I just let the mulch bags do it for me. :) However, I never had done this before, and I didn't have snakes, but, this year, a whole BUNCH of garter snakes everywhere. . .plus, a lot of toads too.

I put out Black Cat glue traps in my garage because we had spikets.They are pretty evil looking! Well imagine my heart stopping surprise when I went out for something and found a black snake stuck in the glue trap! That was on a Wed. 2nd one was found that Friday. I am deathly afraid of snakes after being bit when I was young and had to stay in the hospital. If you use these they stick once they are stuck forget it! I am thinking of buying stock in the company!

Home and Garden Pest Control AdviceFebruary 26, 2009
Raking Mulch
Best Mulch for Repelling Bugs
A garter snake in grass.
Getting Rid of Garter Snakes
Picture of garden mulch.
Getting Rid of Mold on Mulch
wagon of mulch
When to Avoid Using Mulch
🎄
🍂