Cat Aggressive to Owner and Other Cat

Why is my cat starting to bite me? We've always got along marvelously once I tamed him. He came pretty much feral out of the fields, but with lots of attention and plenty of food he became mostly tame.

Now suddenly, he's started asking for attention, but then whipping around and biting me. He is not drawing blood, not even breaking skin, just really hard fully open mouthed hard nips that are more than a nip, raising welts and no warning growl or hiss. He is really loving one moment, aggressive the next.

He isn't rabid, he doesn't come charging at me and attack. We're having a quiet time, he's just joined me so he isn't over stimulated. I don't understand this change in behavior. He's an indoor/outdoor cat, and he's been getting realyl aggressive with his pal, another cat, lately. We just don't understand this change in personality.

By nekocat from OR

Has he had a rabies shot?

Sometimes when a cat is injured or sick, he feels vulnerable and threatened whenever anyone comes near him. This could cause the cat to be aggressive. You might want to observe the cat to see if he has any symptoms of an illness.

One of our cats did the same thing. We took him to the vet who said he had a temperature and was sick. The vet put him on antibiotics and and few days later he was fine. Our vet said that cats can become aggressive if sick. She also said some cats become aggressive if over stimulated. Our other cat nips (hard) if petted too long.

Is he neutered? That is a really important clue if he isn't. Get a squirt gun and every time he does this, squirt him and yell no!

Yes to both wolfbytez and Pikka, he was fixed as a kitten (he's 6 years old-we think, came in from the fields starving and undersized at 6mo or younger) and he's up to date on his rabies shots. he is funny with being touched, he either really wants petted, or just wants one stroke and no more. but he climbed into my lap the night he grabbed me. It was a wide open mouth grab, and he snapped shut-but did not bite, that was an incorrect assessment on my part.

I've figured out he was trying to tell me something, but I'm not sure what. recently he's been coming in and settling into the chair I was in, maybe he thought I was in the wrong chair. although it hurt quite a bit, and raised some welts, he didn't draw blood, and it's almost completely healed-there's one tiny spot where a fang left a dent that's sensitive when touched, but no longer can be seen.

I've been watching him for worms, and he's breaking a record for length of time free of worms (he's a very active hunter and there's lots of voles and field mice out here). he hasn't had an injury in quite a while. does have a tiny bit of a weepy eye, but that's as likely to be from dust in the eye (we live on a dusty dirt road as from illness. his nose is as it should be, so I think he's well. I'll check him again when he comes in tonight.

This is probably a medical problem. Take him to the vet and have him checked out - blood work too.

I would take him to the vet to get checked out. There is always a reason for a change in behavior.

I've had cats my entire life, worked at our shelter, and take in strays. One of my cats that I've had for over 10 years does the same thing. It's really odd, and I believe that it is just something that is instinctual. He'll be purring and happy, then just turn and bite. Yes, he's been fixed years ago and has his shots. I really don't think he's being mean. If you watch cats play, they'll fight and bite each other all the time. A few times, he has bitten really hard and seemed vicious, then will just turn and nudge me for attention. I believe that it's kind of like dogs trying to be the head of the pack. We've learned that he turns his ears back when he's in the mood. Sometimes, it can be caused by overstimulation, but only occassionally, and is intensified when he simply doesn't want to be bothered. It can be a frustrating behavior.

He either needs neutered or he just plain doesn't feel good. Did he just have a vaccine? If so, his immune system may be all messed up. Build his immune system up with good diet. No grains, fillers. Nzymes are good. Probiotics are good. Try a container of yogurt that has lots and lots of the ophelusses. Cats love yogurt. Not too much tuna--it has mercury in it. Fresh foods are best but not always possible..that is the reason for Nzymes. They really do help. Oh, possible dental problem? Jealousy? Something new in the house? Change in routine?

A cat biting its owners finger.
Training a Cat Not to Bite
Pets CatsSeptember 3, 2009
Aggressive Dog
Dog is Aggressive Towards Other Resident Dogs
Aggressive Puppy
Training an Aggressive Puppy
A new home.
Saving Money on Home Owner's Insurance
Dog Has Become Aggressive With Owner
Dog Has Become Aggressive With Owner
🎉
🎄