Recycle Mattress Cover for Quilt Filling

When making quilts, I use old (clean) mattress covers for the fill. Cut to the size that you need.

By dna53 from Mid MI

Great idea. I have never used a mattress pad but my first quilt I ever made, I was a young girl of 17, I used an old Chenille bedspread in it. The top was simple double knit squares and I tacked it. I was filling my hope chest. 30+ years later my daughter used it so much the back disintegrated. I clipped the ties and will be putting a new back on it this winter, she wants it back. Maybe I can get that done and surprise her. Thanks for reminding me! :-)

I take old mattress pads and use them for batting between two old flannel sheets for the homeless shelter in the winter. I work on them in the summer to have ready for the winter. They are really warm and light weight and most appreciated.

Quilting Tips and Tricks, Nine patch quilt block and tools.
Quilting Tips and Tricks
Crafts QuiltingNovember 17, 2009
Up close photo of quilt binding.
Binding a Quilt
Paper pieced quilt top, endless chains pattern.
Making a Paper Pieced Quilt
A pile of old photos.
Making a Photo Quilt
Mattress Cover
Repairing A Plastic Mattress Cover