Solutions for a Cloudy Turtle Tank

Turtles defecate in the water of their tank, making keeping it clear a challenge. This is a guide about solutions for a cloudy turtle tank.

A turtle swimming in a tank.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I persistently have a problem with the water in my turtle tank being cloudy. It's about 150 gallons and I have four 2inch wide red ear sliders. I put zoo med Reptisafe in the water daily as well as exo biotine. I have two filters as well. I clean up any uneaten food and my water is still foggy! What should I do?

By Bell

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Try a UV sterilizer

Read More Answers...

My turtle's water is very cloudy (to the point of not being able to see him though the water) and stinks very badly! I am changing the water every single say and have a very good (and expensive) filter. What is causing the cloudiness and what do I do to stop it?

By Bryan from Vancouver, BC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have had my Red Ear Slider for about 9 years. I have 125 gallon tank for him. I also worked at a pet store for a few years. Cloudiness is usually caused by a build up of ammonia in the water. You might have spent a lot of money on a filter but it could be a crap filter if it doesn't have the right media in it. For turtles you need a carbon zeolite mix (it is black and white).

Keeping rocks in your tank can help but makes sure you don't buy aquarium gravel that your turtle can swallow. Also there is a product called Zoo Med ReptiSafe Conditioner it is blue; I would use this as a water conditioner.

Let me know if you have any other questions about your turtle or filter

Read More Answers...
Pets TurtlesJune 10, 2013
Making a Turtle Costume for a Baby
Making a Turtle Costume for a Baby
Cloudy water in an above ground pool.
Cloudy Water in an Above Ground Pool
laminate samples
Cloudy White Spots on Laminate Countertop
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 26, 2016 at 4:03:48 AM on 10.0.1.57 in 243 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.