Spicy Mexican Rice (Electric Skillet)

This is a combination of Spanish Rice and Stuffed Peppers. My kids ate everything, but my spousal unit was a picky eater. He didn't like bell peppers and the rest of us loved them. He would eat the filling from the stuffed pepper and leave the 'shell'. So, I came up with this dish to utilize the nice bell peppers from my garden.

• 1 lb. ground beef
  • 2 cups cooked rice
  • 1/2 medium onion, cut up
  • 3 or 4 bell peppers, cut in very small pieces
  • 1 small can tomato sauce
  • 1 or 2 tsp. chili powder (to your taste)
  • 3 or 4 hot chili peppers (such as jalapeno, serrano, habanero, again to your taste)
  • 1 can water
  • salt and pepper to taste

Cook beef with onions in skillet, stiffing to break beef up into small pieces. Drain off as much grease as desired. Add all other veggies, tomato sauce, and water. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until veggies are tender. Add more water as needed, to keep from sticking. When veggies are tender, stir in rice and let heat through.

This meal is a complete one-dish meal - protein, veggies, and starch. Serve with taco chips or it goes very well with thick slices of buttered homemade artisan bread.

Servings: 6 to 8
Time:abt 15 Minutes Preparation Time
abt 45 Minutes Cooking Time

By Myrrdhyn from Dawson, IL

This is a good recipe. I tried it in the boys after the football game and it was a hit with them.

Food and Recipes Recipes International MexicanOctober 20, 2010
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Woman Holding Her Mouth With Chili Pepper
Stopping the Burn from Spicy Food
Side of Spanish rice.
Making Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker
Chicken Mexican Skillet
Mexican Skillet Recipes