Preventing Mildew Around Shower

I have tried just about every cleaning solution out there to get rid of the black mildew that seems to build up around my shower enclosure. I have used mildew resistance caulking, but that does not seem to work.

Debra from Hurricane, Utah

Mildew is a fungus that has to be killed or it will keep coming back. You need to use a strong bleach solution and soak it good. Allow it to set for awhile (as long as you can) and then rinse it off. Should work.

Like the first poster said...bleach should take care of it. There are many cleaners out there that contain bleach. If you have tile flooring...u want to check a small area first to see if the bleach is going to damage the tile more than the mold has. I had this problem at my old house and was told it was because there was no ventilation in the bathroom. We recently moved, remodeled the bathroom and added a ventilation system and I've not had a problem with it yet (it's been 6 months).

If you don't have a ventilation system (AKA: exhaust fan), you might try opening a window or just putting a small fan in the doorway facing outwards to pull the moisture out of the bathroom. Until you get some ventilation in the bathroom you will continue to have this problem. Getting water on the flooring does contribute to the problem but the gist of it is from moisture...humidity.

If you don't want to use bleach you might try apple cider vinegar. It is a very good cleaner, antiseptic, digestive aide, sanitizer, deodorizer and the list goes on. Do a internet search on ACV and you will be surprised at the list of stuff it is good for.

Go to a cheapie store like Dollar Tree, Dollar Store etc. and get a couple bottles of hydrogen peroxide and put this in a squirt type bottle like DAWN. Squirt the porxide in these places and watch it bubble the mold and mildew away. It will be slower returning, too.

I had a terrible mold problem on the caulking. Full strength bleach would not touch it. I bought a cheap gel DISHWASHER soap. I painted this on, make sure surface is dry and be generous. Leave it on. Works like magic even after showers removed the soap. I haven't found anything else that worked!

May 20, 2012 Flag

I keep getting black spots on my shower caulking. They are not on the surface but behind it. I even removed it, bleached behind and recaulked, but they're back!

By Sue T

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Make sure you let it completely dry out before re-caulking. I have used bleach before and it worked. In your case if you have used bleach, let completely dry out before re-caulking then you need to go buy a mildew(mold) killer. At the hardware store mold be gone, or other products can be purchased.

Usually people use these in areas like mine , close to water and damp. They have same products to use before painting. It works before caulking doing the same thing. I have to use a product called Damp Rid (daily) it absorbs extra moisture in air,in closets so make sure the bathroom has a good ventilation either window or air vent. If extra moisture is on walls, floor, etc. a product like Damp Rid (charcoal works) needs to be used. Only the shower? Get product you use before caulking. Kiltz It is also one used here.

Good luck!

Make certain your caulk is applied properly ... so that water can't get behind the caulk. Leave NO cracks for water to get into. After showering, take your bath towel and dry the shower. Paying special attention to where the mold was. This will eliminate mold/mildew reappearing. It only takes a few minutes to dry the shower,but will save much time, trying to remove the mold/mildew!

Mold and Mildew in Corner
Preventing Mildew
Home and Garden Home Improvement BathroomNovember 4, 2008
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
Photo of a tent set up in the woods.
Removing Mildew from a Tent
Cleaning a Shower Curtain
Cleaning a Shower Curtain
Shower Enclosure
Cleaning a Shower Enclosure
🎉
🎄