Homemade Laundry Soap Advice

I am using my homemade laundry soap and I have little pieces of soap that will not dissolve in the laundry water. Do I need to use hot water or is there a better solution?

By Cindy from St. Louis, MO

You do need to use hot water, but you don't need a whole washing machine full. Turn on your washer making sure the water is set to "hot". Add your soap and let it fill up a few inches, then shut the washer off. Stir the water with a broom handle or old wooden spoon and let it sit for 10 minutes. Your soap should be dissolved by now. Turn the washer's water temp to what you usually use and proceed as usual.

If this isn't practical you can fill a large container with hot water and dissolve the soap in that, then add that to your washload. The soap won't dissolve if you didn't grate the pieces finely enough. Hope that helps.

I use the dry homemade soap recipe. When making the soap in the first place I put the soap chips in my (extra old) food processor and make it just as fine as possible. Then when I'm going to do a load of laundry I put about 3 C water in my (old extra) blender and blend it for a couple minutes till it looks very smooth, then I use the soap. By doing that I have no pieces in the laundry anymore. My processor and blender are from garage sales and were real cheap.

This is why I make the liquid. By the way, you don't have to put the liquid in a 5 gallon bucket. After melting the soap in some water, adding the borax and washing soda, pour it into a smaller container with a lid. Do not stir. It forms a semi-hard /semi-soft mass. Just scoop out a small amount and add to the wash. A Tbsp is plenty.

I know you all talked about Zote soap, and I bought it. Now I need washing soda and assume I can find an Arm and Hammer brand in the laundry aisle? I also need Borax, I have 20 Mule Team on hand, is that what I need?

Thanks a lot.

freedombelle2001 from Oceanside, CA

Answers:

Homemade Laundry Soap Advice

I have a child with multiple allergies, including contact dermatitis (eczema).

The best and most effective laundry detergent that I found was President's Choice (Canadian Store Brand) phosphate free, unscented. The perfumes in soaps can be very irritating to eczema.

To make sure that the soap is entirely gone, use plain white vinegar in the rinse cycle, just pretend that it is fabric softener. There is something about the chemical makeup of vinegar that will eliminate any excess soap in your clothes, and it does soften them. There is no smell afterward, either.

Hope it helps.

(04/19/2006)

By Anne Marie

Homemade Laundry Soap Advice

Try using just a few tablespoons of regular laundry detergent. It is amazing how a little goes a long way. Let the clothes agitate a few minutes and add a few more tablespoons if desired.

This is a lot easier and better in my opinion than the homemade soap.
(04/19/2006)

By AmyM

Homemade Laundry Soap Advice

20 Mule Team is the brand name for borax, that is good. Washing Soda is only put out by Arm and Hammer that I know of and is sold next to Borax in the laundry aisle (by bleach), but some stores do not carry it. You can call the Church and Dwight Company at 1-800-524-1328 M-F eastern time 9-5 or visit the website for Arm and Hammer. I am sure the Zote soap works great. I use the Pure and Natural by Dial because it was all I had on hand, and it hasn't caused adverse reactions to my dedicates (clothes and babies).

In fact, with the soda and borax, you will be amazed how much cleaner your clothes come out with out Spray N Wash. Some stains may still require a pre treat/soak, which I just use borax or soda for, but remember only 2 Tablespoons for a large load, and one for medium. It really goes a long way. The only part I hate is grating, I timed myself at twenty minutes for 1 and 1/4 cup. (04/22/2006)

By camo_angels

Homemade Laundry Soap Advice

I have been making this soap for years. I use any and all samples, motel bar soap, etc. or what's cheap at the dollar store. The A and H Washing Soda can be hard to find. Go to the A and H website, and they actually have a phone number (or a locator section) of where you can find this product. I get it at Albertson's, but only a few carry it. (04/24/2006)

By Linda

Homemade Laundry Soap Advice

I've read on several websites that sodium carbonate that is sold for pools can be used, but have never tried it, since I bought several boxes of washing soda, and it lasts a long time. I plan to check out the price this summer and compare it to see what is the best buy. (04/27/2006)

By susanmajp

Homemade Laundry Soap Advice

We couldn't find the Fels Naphta soap in our area to make the homemade dry laundry soap, but we did find one called Octagon by the Colgate Company and it was only 77 cents per 7oz bar. It is a stain remover soap and works well in place of the Fels Naphta soap and is cheaper. This homemade laundry soap is a great care package to give to collage students and it saves the a lot of money too. (08/05/2007)

By Kennedy Clan

This is for anyone out there who makes their own laundry soap with the borax, washing soda, and grated soap: Have any of you used this with children's clothes, especially those with eczema? Also, does it rinse well? After time, do your clothes stay bright? Does it gum up your washer?

I'd love to hear from you before I attempt this.

Thanks,
Lee from Canada

Answers:

A pediatrician once told me it makes not a whole lot of difference what you wash with. The important part is the rinsing. He told me to rinse my children's clothing twice. He said, rinse, rinse, rinse. lol.. I used Dreft. I'm not sure if the company is still in business. Stay away from Ivory soap. Its too hard to rinse out. It leaves a film.
(04/19/2006)

By Carol from Wyoming, PA (Guest Post)

I have a child with multiple allergies, including contact dermatitis (eczema). The best and most effective laundry detergent that I found was President's Choice (Canadian Store Brand) Phosphate Free, unscented. The perfumes in soaps can be very irritating to eczema.

To make sure that the soap is entirely gone, use plain white vinegar in the rinse cycle, just pretend that it is fabric softener. There is something about the chemical makeup of vinegar that will eliminate any excess soap in your clothes, and it does soften them. (There is no smell afterward, either.)

Hope it helps.
(04/19/2006)

By Anne Marie (Guest Post)

(04/19/2006)

By AmyM (Guest Post)

I make my own powder, and have with the grated bar soap (I use Pure & Natural, because it was around the house!) The key is to not overdue it! And rinse. My son is allergic to the "mountain fresh" and possibly the bleach alternative, plus my DH has a skin condition I cannot pronounce or spell, but common among hispanic ancestry (after puberty.) So I am very cautious about what I use. I use 1 Tablespoon for a medium or light dirty load. I use 2 Tbl. for Large or heavy dirty (blood, urine, you name it!) and I have not had any problems with stains. The washing soda is the key to that. If you want an easier alternative, and cost effective and safer, go to the Shaklee website and try Shaklee Basic L perfume free. I do not have a member id, but believe me, once you try it, and see how well it performs, you'll love it! And if it doesn't work for you, you get your money back. Stores will not do that for you!
(04/19/2006)

By camo_angels

Forgot to mention, mine rinses clean, because I also use the baking soda/vinegar rinse as well. My husband has not had a flare up and the baby and big boy have great looking skin!
(04/19/2006)

By camo_angels

My son has allergies and eczema, and i make my own laundry soap (zote soap, borax and washing soda) and we have not had any problems with him breaking out from it. i also have not noticed it causing a problem with my washing machine or fading of my clothes.
(04/20/2006)

By halloweenfreak

foil for static cling in dryer (previous post) This will not harm your dryer? How long does it usually last? My ventilation system is MESSED UP, so it takes 90 minutes to dry a normal load on high, regardless of the fabric!
(04/20/2006)

By camo_angels

My friend and I tried a laundry soap recipe, I found on this site, the other night. We made three different kinds: Baby soap (made with J&J baby soap bar), Oatmeal (made with homemade oatmeal, milk, & honey soap, I made before Christmas), and Coast. We decided that since we were making several different kinds, we would make smaller batches (1 gallon of Baby, 1 of Oatmeal, and 2 of the Coast).

The oatmeal came out just fine. It's a little thicker than water, and it's about the same thickness as store bought detergent. The baby soap and the Coast came out very, very thick. Instead of pouring out of the containers, it comes out in big blobs.

My question is, is that the way it is supposed to be (extra thick and goopy) or is it wrong? If it's wrong, could it be the soap that we used? Thanks in advance for any information.

Keena

Answers:
Homemade Laundry Soap Advice 01/19/2005
I thought the laundry soap was supposed to be made specifically with Fels Naphta soap. Fels Naptha is a bar laundry soap that can be used like a "Shout" stick to treat stains (you wet the soap bar first) or in "olden" days was simply grated into a wash tub or wringer washer. I don't think commercial skin soaps would work the same. And personally, I would not want oatmeal going through my washing machine. What you made sounds like liquid soaps for skin use..But I still wouldn't use a liquid soap made with washing soda on my skin...
By rabbithorns
Homemade Laundry Soap Advice 01/19/2005
I have used fels naphta and Ivory, depending on how much water you added when you made the recipe, it could clump together. It really doesn't hurt anything at all. If you want, add a bit more water and stir or shake it. It will really make your clothes soft.

Try foil in the dryer, too. That cuts down on static cling :-)

Vinegar in the rince cycle makes clothes very soft.

By lisa M (Guest Post)
Hand Soap 01/19/2005
I made it with hotel soaps (business travelers in the family). It came out gelatinous, but does a fine job for hand soap. It lasts a long time compared to the gallon soft soap.
By Mari (Guest Post)
Homemade Laundry Soap Advice 01/25/2005
Why would you use oatmeal in your laundry soap? Sounds like a sticky mess to me. The other recipes sound okay.
By Mary (Guest Post)
Homemade Laundry Soap Advice 03/16/2005
Try mixing it up in a blender and if it needs a little more water you will know. Homemade detergents also need to be shaken well before using. Also I have never heard of the oatmeal one.
By smathis123
Homemade Laundry Soap Advice 01/20/2006
I make homemade laundry soap with soap chips from regular bar bath soap and it does get a lumpy gel. I keep an old electric mixer that is used only for the soap for a quick mix before each use. I think the oatmeal, milk, & honey would be a great idea for someone with sensitive skin and or skin allergies.
By Melinda (Guest Post)
Homemade Laundry Soap Advice 01/21/2006
Homemade laundry detergents can be made with any type of bar soap. Fels Naptha is typically used because it is a laundry bar. It is also unavailable in many areas, and may be substituted with another laundry bar, like Zote, if desired. I save leftover slivers of any type of bar soap we use in the shower/tub. When I make homemade detergent, I make a double batch, and mix the leftover bar soap with grated laundry soap (fels/zote). It cleans just as well, and I get to use up all my scraps instead of throwing them away.

Since homemade detergent isn't really "detergent," but laundry "soap," it is extremely gentle on sensitive skin. Making it with oatmeal soap sounds a little eccentric to me, as it is so diluted, there really isn't much of the original bar soap's scent left in it. Just use any regular soap and add scents if you want something that smells good. But remember, most people make this to save money, and adding stuff to it will add to the initial cost.

The thickness will vary according to the type of soap used (the amount and kind of setting agent used to make the original soap bar), how much water you added to the recipe, and how much you stirred the recipe. Personally, I just allow mine to set and turn into a large soft block in a covered bucket, then scoop out the amount needed for a load of laundry. If homemade bar soaps are used instead of store-bought (the soap will not have thickening agents in them that the commercial soap bars do), the homemade laundry detergent will be liquid.

By susanmajp
Homemade Laundry Soap Advice 02/19/2006
I make liquid soaps. For hand soap and such I use 100% coconut oil and potassium hydroxide for saponification. I use 1lb of this soap paste, 1cup of borax and 1cup of sodium carbonate(washing soda). Mixed with 6 pints of water which makes a gallon of concentrate that requires 1/4 cup of soap to a medium to large load. I fragrance it with lavender and orange essential oils.

All totalled the gallon of concentrate costs about $2.25 and it is a much better product. (it could be cheaper if I didn't use essential oils for fragrance).

It is amazing how brite my clothes have become since moving away from commercial soaps which use fillers to make you think your getting more for your money. When in fact these fillers are the reason your clothes look dull and then your go out and buy other products for brighteners.

By Joe (Guest Post)