Homemade Laundry Soap Advice

I am using my homemade laundry soap and I have little pieces of soap that will not dissolve in the laundry water. Do I need to use hot water or is there a better solution?

By Cindy from St. Louis, MO

You do need to use hot water, but you don't need a whole washing machine full. Turn on your washer making sure the water is set to "hot". Add your soap and let it fill up a few inches, then shut the washer off. Stir the water with a broom handle or old wooden spoon and let it sit for 10 minutes. Your soap should be dissolved by now. Turn the washer's water temp to what you usually use and proceed as usual.

If this isn't practical you can fill a large container with hot water and dissolve the soap in that, then add that to your washload. The soap won't dissolve if you didn't grate the pieces finely enough. Hope that helps.

I use the dry homemade soap recipe. When making the soap in the first place I put the soap chips in my (extra old) food processor and make it just as fine as possible. Then when I'm going to do a load of laundry I put about 3 C water in my (old extra) blender and blend it for a couple minutes till it looks very smooth, then I use the soap. By doing that I have no pieces in the laundry anymore. My processor and blender are from garage sales and were real cheap.

This is why I make the liquid. By the way, you don't have to put the liquid in a 5 gallon bucket. After melting the soap in some water, adding the borax and washing soda, pour it into a smaller container with a lid. Do not stir. It forms a semi-hard /semi-soft mass. Just scoop out a small amount and add to the wash. A Tbsp is plenty.

March 10, 2010 Flag

I know you all talked about Zote soap, and I bought it. Now I need washing soda and assume I can find an Arm and Hammer brand in the laundry aisle? I also need Borax, I have 20 Mule Team on hand, is that what I need?

Thanks a lot.

freedombelle2001 from Oceanside, CA

Answers:

Homemade Laundry Soap Advice

I have a child with multiple allergies, including contact dermatitis (eczema).

The best and most effective laundry detergent that I found was President's Choice (Canadian Store Brand) phosphate free, unscented. The perfumes in soaps can be very irritating to eczema.

To make sure that the soap is entirely gone, use plain white vinegar in the rinse cycle, just pretend that it is fabric softener. There is something about the chemical makeup of vinegar that will eliminate any excess soap in your clothes, and it does soften them. There is no smell afterward, either.

Hope it helps.

(04/19/2006)

By Anne Marie

Homemade Laundry Soap Advice

Try using just a few tablespoons of regular laundry detergent. It is amazing how a little goes a long way. Let the clothes agitate a few minutes and add a few more tablespoons if desired.

This is a lot easier and better in my opinion than the homemade soap.
(04/19/2006)

By AmyM

Homemade Laundry Soap Advice

20 Mule Team is the brand name for borax, that is good. Washing Soda is only put out by Arm and Hammer that I know of and is sold next to Borax in the laundry aisle (by bleach), but some stores do not carry it. You can call the Church and Dwight Company at 1-800-524-1328 M-F eastern time 9-5 or visit the website for Arm and Hammer. I am sure the Zote soap works great. I use the Pure and Natural by Dial because it was all I had on hand, and it hasn't caused adverse reactions to my dedicates (clothes and babies).

In fact, with the soda and borax, you will be amazed how much cleaner your clothes come out with out Spray N Wash. Some stains may still require a pre treat/soak, which I just use borax or soda for, but remember only 2 Tablespoons for a large load, and one for medium. It really goes a long way. The only part I hate is grating, I timed myself at twenty minutes for 1 and 1/4 cup. (04/22/2006)

By camo_angels

Homemade Laundry Soap Advice

I have been making this soap for years. I use any and all samples, motel bar soap, etc. or what's cheap at the dollar store. The A and H Washing Soda can be hard to find. Go to the A and H website, and they actually have a phone number (or a locator section) of where you can find this product. I get it at Albertson's, but only a few carry it. (04/24/2006)

By Linda

Homemade Laundry Soap Advice

I've read on several websites that sodium carbonate that is sold for pools can be used, but have never tried it, since I bought several boxes of washing soda, and it lasts a long time. I plan to check out the price this summer and compare it to see what is the best buy. (04/27/2006)

By susanmajp

Homemade Laundry Soap Advice

We couldn't find the Fels Naphta soap in our area to make the homemade dry laundry soap, but we did find one called Octagon by the Colgate Company and it was only 77 cents per 7oz bar. It is a stain remover soap and works well in place of the Fels Naphta soap and is cheaper. This homemade laundry soap is a great care package to give to collage students and it saves the a lot of money too. (08/05/2007)

By Kennedy Clan

April 19, 2006 Flag

This is for anyone out there who makes their own laundry soap with the borax, washing soda, and grated soap: Have any of you used this with children's clothes, especially those with eczema? Also, does it rinse well? After time, do your clothes stay bright? Does it gum up your washer?

I'd love to hear from you before I attempt this.

Thanks,
Lee from Canada

Answers:

A pediatrician once told me it makes not a whole lot of difference what you wash with. The important part is the rinsing. He told me to rinse my children's clothing twice. He said, rinse, rinse, rinse. lol.. I used Dreft. I'm not sure if the company is still in business. Stay away from Ivory soap. Its too hard to rinse out. It leaves a film.
(04/19/2006)

By Carol from Wyoming, PA (Guest Post)

I have a child with multiple allergies, including contact dermatitis (eczema). The best and most effective laundry detergent that I found was President's Choice (Canadian Store Brand) Phosphate Free, unscented. The perfumes in soaps can be very irritating to eczema.

To make sure that the soap is entirely gone, use plain white vinegar in the rinse cycle, just pretend that it is fabric softener. There is something about the chemical makeup of vinegar that will eliminate any excess soap in your clothes, and it does soften them. (There is no smell afterward, either.)

Hope it helps.
(04/19/2006)

By Anne Marie (Guest Post)

(04/19/2006)

By AmyM (Guest Post)

I make my own powder, and have with the grated bar soap (I use Pure & Natural, because it was around the house!) The key is to not overdue it! And rinse. My son is allergic to the "mountain fresh" and possibly the bleach alternative, plus my DH has a skin condition I cannot pronounce or spell, but common among hispanic ancestry (after puberty.) So I am very cautious about what I use. I use 1 Tablespoon for a medium or light dirty load. I use 2 Tbl. for Large or heavy dirty (blood, urine, you name it!) and I have not had any problems with stains. The washing soda is the key to that. If you want an easier alternative, and cost effective and safer, go to the Shaklee website and try Shaklee Basic L perfume free. I do not have a member id, but believe me, once you try it, and see how well it performs, you'll love it! And if it doesn't work for you, you get your money back. Stores will not do that for you!
(04/19/2006)

By camo_angels

Forgot to mention, mine rinses clean, because I also use the baking soda/vinegar rinse as well. My husband has not had a flare up and the baby and big boy have great looking skin!
(04/19/2006)

By camo_angels

My son has allergies and eczema, and i make my own laundry soap (zote soap, borax and washing soda) and we have not had any problems with him breaking out from it. i also have not noticed it causing a problem with my washing machine or fading of my clothes.
(04/20/2006)

By halloweenfreak

foil for static cling in dryer (previous post) This will not harm your dryer? How long does it usually last? My ventilation system is MESSED UP, so it takes 90 minutes to dry a normal load on high, regardless of the fabric!
(04/20/2006)

By camo_angels

January 19, 2005 Flag

My friend and I tried a laundry soap recipe, I found on this site, the other night.

A washer filled with laundry.
Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipes
Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryMarch 10, 2010
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
Laundry Detergent
Making Homemade Laundry Detergent
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale
🎄