Ground Beef for Mexican Food

My husband lives for Mexican food. Burritos, tacos, etc, are better if the beef isn't in big chunks. To finely crumble ground beef for tacos or other dishes, I use my food processor. A few spins of pulse makes the ground beef the perfect size. In a pinch, a pastry blender works well also; but won't make it a fine as the food processor.

By blueheeler1998 from Lakeville, OH

By Rebecca (Guest Post) 06/26/2006

I used to use my processor to crumble the ground beef until I learned this trick from a friend whose parents owned a Mexican restaurant: Another way to make fine ground beef is to fry it in a skillet with water. If you stir it the whole time, it cooks quickly and ends up crumbled. Plus when you drain the water, the fat drains also!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Marge Mayhew 3 149 06/26/2006

We buy our beef (actually divide one with our son) from a local farmer who is very health conscious. He does not use pesticides, growth hormones, antibiotics etc on his animals. We have our ground beef made very lean. I also cook it in water to get that nice fine texture for the Mexican dishes but I continue to let it simmer until all the water evaporates and I get to keep that small amount of fat that gives it that good flavor and the beef actually can brown a little, which we like.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By badwater 264 654 10/12/2007

I, too, have used a pastry blender to break up hamburger chunks, especially with ground turkey meat.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Post a Comment