Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Homemade Spackle for Small Holes

This is old but good. Back, way back in college dorm life, at the end of the year they would charge us if there were holes in the wall or marks etc. My room mate would take out the spearmint green tooth paste and fill all the holes to clean up any holes. Worked great and we were never charged a cent.

Source: my old room mate, Anne

By Brenda from Charlotte, NC

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Homemade Spackle for Small Holes

Does anyone know how to make drywall Spackle or putty to repair small holes in the walls?

By Beth from Columbus, OH

RE: Homemade Spackle for Small Holes

If the hole is small enough, just rub the corner of a cake of white soap over the hole, and the soap will fill it just fine. I saw that technique years ago on "Queer Eye For The Straight Guy", and I've been using it ever since! (01/31/2010)

By WildIrish

RE: Homemade Spackle for Small Holes

Depending on how small the holes are, plain white(not gel) toothpaste can be used to fill them. Let dry at least 24 hours before sanding/painting. (01/31/2010)

By Omanana

RE: Homemade Spackle for Small Holes

White toothpaste works for small holes. Just take a tiny amount and spread it with any straight edge at hand even a butter knife will do. Spread until blended with the white wall after drying for several hours. Can paint over this with any acrylic paint. (02/03/2010)

By alb2784

RE: Homemade Spackle for Small Holes

I've always heard that you can use white toothpaste to fill small holes. (02/03/2010)

By escnmck

RE: Homemade Spackle for Small Holes

Try white toothpaste, not the gel kind. Just smooth some on the hole and let it dry for 24 hours. Then you can gently sand it to smooth before painting, etc. (02/04/2010)

By nooglin