Frying Breaded Foods

Any suggestions for getting breading to stick to fish and other foods before I fry it? Whatever I have tried doesn't work.

By ocedar from Palm Coast, FL

I have the best success at making any coating stick, if I coat the meat first with flour, then egg, then the coating, whatever it is. It also helps to let the breaded meat sit for a bit and dry out some before frying.

I have a great recipe for this. It is a beer batter. Flour, salt & pepper, & enough beer to make the consistency of pancake mix. I love this particularly on deep fried squash. Just dip what ever food you're cooking into the batter & drop into a deep fryer. Coating stays put!

Whatever coating is used, I always prepare ahead and let sit in the fridge for at least 30mins before cooking. Not sure why, but it works.

I dust the meat with cornstarch then flour and that works for me. Also make sure the oil or grease is hot before putting the meat in.

Make sure the oil is hot and don't flip tons of times, that should help!

I'm with them. At least 30 mins. in the fridge.

I do the dry/wet/dry method myself, and it works well. My sister-in-law does the dry, then wet, then puts them right in the hot oil, and hers works well too!